Tuesday, 16 February 2016

Curried Root Vegetable Stew with Chilli-Coriander Dumplings

I made this Indo-Anglo Curried Vegetable Stew on Sunday for the working week ahead, the recipe serves 6, but D is a greedy man and can eat for 2, so it ended up being a meal for 2 days (including this evening), rather than 3.  

Stews have been on our evening menu quite a bit lately.  Some of you may remember that I made one early on in the month with Butternut Squash and Kale.  Another reason its been on the menu is that we have both been enjoying the lightness of the dumplings.   This time thought I wanted to give the stew an Anglo-Indian twist with chillies, curry powder and coriander!
Of course you can make your own curry powder, but there are plenty of brands about and if there is one that you like, use it.  I have to be honest, I don't make my own curry powder at all.  My mother or sister in laws give me some when they make it, which in fact is not that often as they don't really use curry powder in their cooking, so I rely on those packets from South Asian and Oriental grocers.  

Anyway, I found the Curried Root Stew was mild for my taste, a little more chilli would have been desired on my part, but it was good none the less.  For me though, the zingy lemony coriander dumplings were the stars as they managed to elevate the stew flavours further.  
The root vegetables were tender, but not quite falling apart melting in your mouth.  I prefer that - had they been over-cooked they would be erring on baby food for me and i am not into mushy food that much. 

D liked this Curried Root Vegetable Stew but suggested serving with something like pickled onions, I'd probably serve it with some mango or lime chutney! 

I am sharing this Stew with Cook Once Eat Twice and CookBlogShare hosted by Hijacked By Twins. 
Anglo - Indian Root Vegetable Stew with Garam Masala, Chilli - Coriander Dumplings
Serves 4
For the Stew
1 large onion, peeled and finely sliced
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 – 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 - 4 teaspoons Madras Curry Powder
1 teaspoon chilli flakes or to taste
2 carrots, peeled and chopped into small bite size cubes
2 parsnips,  peeled and chopped into small bite size cubes
1/2 celeriac, swede or turnip,  peeled and chopped into small bite size cubes
900ml vegetable stock
1 tablespoon tomato paste
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: 2 tablespoons plain flour (to thicken)
1 x 400g canned chickpes, drained and rinsed
Optional: Fresh Corainder
Optional: Extra Garam masala for serving
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and add the onions and garlic and cook until soft, then stir in the spices and heat through for a few minutes before stirring in all the chopped vegetables.  Cook on medium heat until the vegetables are beginning to look translucent around the edges. Then pour in the vegetable stock, tomato paste and yeast and bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer with the lid on for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
Optional:  in a small bowl whisk the flour with a little stock from the pot, then whisk into the simmering pot to thicken.
Stir in the chickpeas to heat through.
Season to taste. 
Whilst the stew is simmering, make the dumplings.

Chilli Coriander  Dumpling
Makes 8 - 12 depending on size you roll
110g self raising flour
50g Suma vegetable suet
1 tablespoon fresh coriander, minced
1 teaspoon garam masala 
Good pinch of chilli flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
Cold water 
Put all the ingredients into a bowl and give it a good stir to combine, then slowly pour in a tablespoon of cold water at a time until it begins come together, be careful not too much water - just enough to combine to make into balls
Divide into 8 - 12 balls, they will seem small, but they do puff up.
Drop gently into the simmering stew.
Put lid on and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes until puffy.
Serve immediately with optional extra garnish of fresh coriander and garam masala.

Integrity statement: As a member of the Suma Bloggers Network, I will receive a selection of complimentary products from Suma Wholefoods every two months to use in recipe development and will blog original recipes for the network. 


  1. Your chilli coriander dumplings sound fabulous, I will be bookmarking this to try them ASAP!

    1. Thank you Lucy, I am planning on making some more this weekend, or the next - really been loving dumplings!

  2. A stew with dumplings has been for ages on my to do list, but I never manage to make it. However I think that this recipe really made me want to make some, I really like the sound of this!

    1. I hope you get round to make it VegHog, its still very wintery so who knows :)

  3. Hi Shaheen:)
    It's definitely stew season around here Shaheen! I was laughing to myself when you said how you won't have as many meals as you thought thanks to your husband. I'm thinking your stew just made him hungrier, lol...

    I have to agree, the dumplings may just be the star! I adore dumplings in soups and stews and your dumplings sound delicious as does your stew.

    Thank you so much for sharing, Shaheen...

    1. Your kind Louise, no my husband is greedy - to be fair, he doesn't eat much for breakfast or lunch, so his big meal is in the evening, so I mustn't be too harsh on his appetite. He's requested stew again, so it will be on the menu before the month is out.

    2. Oh goodie, maybe there will be some for me!!!

  4. Dumplings are one of those dishes that make me yearn for properly cold weather so I can enjoy them in their right setting - big warm bowl of food, huddled under a blanket, happy to be out of the outdoors! I like the curry twist to the stew - it looks lovely and hearty!

    1. Thank you. We will be having it again Joey - maybe with different veg though.

  5. Oh wow this meal sounds so good! I love the flavours from root veg and the dumplings sound delicious. Thank you for sharing with #CookBlogShare x

    1. Thank you Kirsty. I am hoping to make more this week.

  6. This looks really good! And I totally agree with you on the veggies no mushy veggies please, I still have teeth and I plan on using them, haha! :)

    1. Thanks Emily. I will be sharing another version soon - hope you will come back to check it out. Good to know we share - no mushy veg!!!

  7. This looks gorgeous! I love root vegetable stews but never think to make dumplings. My mum used to make lovely ones but I've never had a go myself. They sound delicious with the coriander in them. Thank you so much for joining in with #CookOnceEatTwice!

  8. Thank you Corina. I loved the addition of coriander in the dumplings.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You