Saturday, 17 October 2015

Romanesco Cauliflower, Feta in a Black Sesame Seed Galette

I do love the vibrant green spiral coiled vegetable known as Romanesco Cauliflower.  I look forward to having it at least once a year, but when I do the question that often arises is 'What to do with it?' - without damaging its beautiful pointy cone shaped heads always baffles me in the culinary sense.
First I decided to simply blanch the the florets, ready to be tossed into a salad of some sort, but once I had drained the florets and set them aside to cool and dry off,  I found myself changing my mind.  Instead I went ahead and made another galette, throwing in some black sesame seeds, not just into the galette pastry, but also the topping to contrast with the white studs of feta cheese cubes.



What you cannot see, is beneath the Romanesco cauliflower and feta cheese there is also some caramelised onions, without it this galette would have been quite dry. 
I am sharing this with Eat Your Greens challenge and The Pastry Callenge  hosted by United Cakedom and Jen's Food.

12 comments:

  1. Romanesco is lovely, a nice nutty taste...even got eldest son eating it and he wont eat broccoli...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome.
      Good to hear from you gz. Hope all is well

      Delete
  2. Have you tried Romanesco raw? Nice with a blue cheese dip, or maybe Bagna Cauda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, Yes, I have had it raw, nice.

      Delete
  3. I'm not a fan of cauliflower but I have to say this is looks pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you Wendy, been a while. Hope your well. This is a cross between cauli and broc, best or worse of both vegetable worlds - I like

      Delete
  4. I always wonder how to feature romanescu too and love this idea - the black sesame seeds look striking on top

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna, still experimenting with Romanesco - good to know I am not alone.

      Delete
  5. I haven't tried romanesco yet, but this kind of a recipe would be perfect for trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find some, its almost a cross between broccoli and cauliflower, not as strong

      Delete
  6. Romanesco is such a beautiful vegetable, I think. I love what you've done with it here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth, but I am open to fresh ideas!

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You