Monday, 26 October 2015

Last of the Hanging Tomatoes and Trailing Nasturtiums

I don't have very much to share, sadly the only squash I had growing in the garden collapsed and rotted.  The garden is a proper mess, like an abandoned allotment plot.  We are hoping to tidy up the garden plot on Sunday.

Oh did  I mention that we were away for a week a couple of weeks back to the South of France, Marseille to be more specific.  Anyway, these are the last lot of tomatoes harvested from the garden.
Most of them are fine and dandy, but as you can see some are split - especially the Black Russian variety. 
Other than the odd raspberry here and there, the only colour in the garden is coming from the nasturtiums.  
I am loving the way they are trailing along the border of the path and trying to creep over.  
 Moreso, it was lovely to see a bumbling bee bull dozing in and out of them - just look closely. 
Plenty of shredded green leaves, but kneel down and you will find some Brussels Sprouts.  I harvested some over the weekend for a simple meal.  I am sharing this measly harvest with Dave over at Our Happy Acres who is hosting Harvest Monday on behalf of Daphne's Dandelions .

12 comments:

  1. I'm on my last basket of tomatoes too. These are savoured as much as the first tomatoes as we know that this will be it until next summer. So jealous of the Brussels sprouts! I tried growing them many years ago with little success - but they are on my list to try again at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, now we have to wait until next Summer :( but at least this year was good. I tend to do okay with sprouts, but this year a little disappointing because of the cabbage butterfly and our fault for not putting netting over them

      Delete
  2. The nasturtiums are beautiful. They were my mother's favorite flower, so colorful and cheery. All our tomatoes are done for the season, so yours look great to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave.
      All the tomatoes are gone, hope to clear the greenhouse this w/e

      Delete
  3. Small but good harvests. The Brussels Sprouts look good! Mine are still the size of peas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. Hope your sprouts are better next time

      Delete
  4. Shame about your squash, but great tomatoes and beautiful nasturtiums!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, was a little disappointed, but i have been quite neglectful in the garden.

      Delete
  5. Thank goodness I am not the only one with a messy veg plot. Ours has been much neglected recently but the nasturtiums are absolutely loving it. It's been a wonderful year for them. I haven't got round to making nasturtium capers though, even though I have been silently promising to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Lets unite in messy plots, we are hoping to get some work done this w/e, it will be a start. Yes, I have been wanting to make nasturtium capers too, and may be do still. I use capers a lot, in vegetarian Puttanesca and pasta salads, so it would be economical to make my own. Hope your well x

      Delete
  6. I always feel sad when the tomato season is over - then you know you're really in winter. Homegrown brussels are definitely some consolation though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm not mad on tomatoes, but homegrown knocks supermarket ones undoubtedly. The sprouts are so fresh!

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You