Thursday, 1 October 2015

Higgledy Piggledy In My Kitchen

Last month I shared some vegan eats in my kitchen, I return back to my vegetarian kitchen and share higgledy piggledy assortment of things in my kitchen.
First I share with you natures gift from my garden - last of the colourful tomatoes from the greenhouse; and flavourful they are too.

Next. I went to a Eastern European shop in my lunch hour and came out having purchased a bag full of edible groceries such as this dried Aubergine.  I am not sure what I will be doing with it, but I look forward to trying it out.  

I also picked this triangular shaped pastry.  Now this I did know what to with, I have plans to make Mexican Taquitos.  
 Brown Fine Bulgar Wheat for a Middle Eastern meal. 
Whilst going through some boxes,  I found these Cool Chile Co tins: Chile Chipotle Powder and Epazote (unopened), they are past the best before date.  I have actually used both in the last couple of days for a gorgeous Sweetcorn soup and it tasted fine to me.

I picked up this ceramic vintage plate and bowl with holes, a colander of sorts from a charity shop. Its like a strawberry strainer, but designed for other fruit and vegetables, I guess. 
From a different charity shop, I found this handmade bowl with dainty pink flowers. I paid only 20p for it, I was shocked.  It does have a tiny nick in the corner, but you barely see it.
A month or so back, we went to Gloucester and we came across a Romania shop.  Of course I wanted to poke my head inside and have a look. D spotted these vegetarian pate tins, we both looked at the small print and it seemed to indicate that it was suitable for vegetarians.  I spotted the Salami de Biscotti . It reminded me of Chocolate Salami that I saw appearing across blogosphere last year around Christmas time, except this one was made with dried fruits and nuts. 
One of my closest colleagues at work, brought me back a present from The Czech Republic, a box of Marlenka Cocoa Honey Nuggets. She told me that these Markenka sweets are a famous Armenian honey cake.  She knows I am vegetarian and said she looked closely at the ingredients and was confident that it was suitable for vegetarians.  I have to trust her.  When I first had one, I wasn't overly keen on it and the box went away.  I tried another only today and realised, actually they are not too bad.  They remind me a bit of Japanese mochi rice cakes. 
And finally, a  little sneaky pressie for my kitchen, wooden measuring spoons with woodland animal prints.  For those of you interested I also shared a picture of my kitchen follow this link.  I am linking this post with  Celia from Fig and Lime Cordial  who every month  hosts In My Kitchen.  Oh before I forget, I am off to the South of France tomorrow, so my next IMK will undoubtedly have a touch of Provence about it.  

32 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading about your trip to France - but Provence is surely not South West??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, it was an error on my part.

      Delete
  2. Your tomatoes look fabulous! Lots of other great things for you to try too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy, just got back from South France and harvested another bowl full

      Delete
  3. Enjoy your time in France and thanks for the peek in your kitchen today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhh those spoons!!! And Southwest of France!!! Have a wonderful time, I'm looking forward to seeing some pics :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, got back a few hours ago - hope to share pics later in the week

      Delete
  5. I love all your op-shop finds. I think the nicks and scratches make them look loved and like they've had a life. Your measuring spoons are lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I love charity shops, you find so many unusual things

      Delete
  6. Shaheen, what a beautiful, bountiful bowl of tomatoes! I enjoyed your charity store dishes, too -- lovely finds -- as well as your wooden measuring spoons. (Yay for getting a "sneaky pressie" for your kitchen.) As for your dried aubergines... maybe a tart or fritatta, or focaccia or pizza (with some of your tomatoes?!) once they're reconstituted? I took a look at your kitchen (via your link) and my first impression was that the "light" was great until I read your description! Hope "brighter" days are ahead for you. If all else fails, light some candles! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kim for your lovely comment, just harvested a bowl full today - got back from vacation early this afternoon. Thanks for suggesting a foccacia, may give that a go with the dried aub.

      Delete
  7. Those wooden measuring spoons are wonderful. I love your selection of tomatoes too - what a great batch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kari. We have been spoiled this year with the tomatoes and feel richer for having them, just harvested a bowl full this afternon

      Delete
  8. looks like you have had fun shopping - I am intrigued by the dried aubergine - I guess it is used like dried mushroom - it is funny you mention the chocolate salami as today Sylvia's friend asked if she ate salami and we were giggling because she said yes, chocolate salami! And your tomatoes and dishes and spoons are gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna. I've just got back from South of France and barely picked any kitchen bits :( I will have to make my own choc salami one day, I think D would like it

      Delete
  9. Hi Shaheen, gorgeous tomatoes what lovely colors! The strainer set is very cute and I love the wooden spoons. The dried eggplants are often cooked liked stuffed grape leaves, very tasty. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily, yes we are loving and are being rewarded well tomatoes this year. Ah how interesting about cooking the aubergines like grape leaves, I will see if I can do something with them

      Delete
  10. I'd love to know how you end up using the dried aubergine, I've never seen a recipe listing it as an ingredient. Your measuring spoons are very cute and how useful is the pierced bowl, fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments and its lovely to make your acquaintance.

      Delete
  11. Hi Shaheen, recently bought a new Mexican cookbook and could do with your tins of epazote and chili powder :) Love the cute wooden measuring spoons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I'd be more than happy to share my epazote with you, as I don't think I'd use it all.

      Delete
  12. Lovely tomatoes and foodie goodies shaheen. Hope you enjoy your well-earned hol, it sounds fab

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lou, yes its been a long time - just wish it was 2 weeks, but any holiday is better than none and it was appreciated. Back to work tomorrow

      Delete
  13. Great cherry tomatoes - enjoy them Shaheen. Loving your cute little strawberry draining bowl & plate and wooden measuring spoons. With you new-found spices, if they've been stored correctly, they shouldn't go 'off'. They may not be as intense as they were originally but I would still use them, which I've done with cinnamon. Thanks for the goodies in your kitchen this month #IMK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you missfoodfairy.
      The spices were stored in a dark place and unopened, so I am pleased that i can use them for home cooking.

      Delete
  14. I am quite intrigued by the dried aubergine. I've never heard of it, certainly a fun thing to experiment with! Those wooden spoons are fantastic, love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gretchen. I hope to cook with the aubergines in the v near future, some readers above have suggested using it in a foccacia or treat them as grape vine leaves for stuffing

      Delete
  15. i love your tomatoes. and what cute measuring spoons. i don't worry about use by dates too much unless it is something lethal. such cute bowls from the op shop. it's amazing what you can get! dried aubergine sounds very interesting . not sure what you would do with that. have fun in france.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry. I had a fab time in France, shame back to work tomorrow, but it is work that pays for the holidays,

      Delete
  16. Well I thought I had left a comment but a quick review shows that I read the post but forgot to comment…
    I find that dried eggplant fascinating. I have never seen it. I’m sure it’s not very pretty in its dried or reconstituted state but how handy! What would that colander type plate be used for do you think? I have been racking my brains but nothing comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fiona,
      Thanks - yes the dried aubergines are new to me too, I have to say they look better than dried bananas! The colander type plate is more for draining blackberries when rinsed, I think.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You