Sunday, 18 October 2015

Not 'Corned Beef' and Cabbage

Ah loving October so far, the changing colours of the dancing trees, the falling crisp leaves beneath my feet.  I like this weather as long as it stays dry, I  just don't want it to rain and feel like a soggy wet sock.  I am looking forward to wrapping up warm in my snugly jumpers, knitted and crochet scarves and hats, but right now its just blooming beautifully fresh and I am liking it.   

Its been a day of house-cleaning, scrubbing, laundering and vacuum cleaning, but then it was time for a late, late brunch.  
This  Not 'Corned Beef' and Cabbage is adapted from  Caribbean Modern by Shivi Ramoutar,  and made suitable for vegetarians (and vegans if you omit the fried egg).  In place of the thick flakes of corned beef, I had reconstituted soy mince, I think it worked very well.  

When I placed this plate in front of D I have to say, he didn't think much of it.  The cooked strands of cabbage did not enthuse him either, but once he started tucking in.  I could see that he was in fact really enjoying this dish, I have to say that I enjoyed it too.  It hit the right spot and got me all energised to continue with the reminaing house-work - what a lovely Sunday!   



The fried eggs of course are optional, but perfect for a veggie brunch.  I am sharing this with Belleau Kitchen for Simply Eggcellent #8: Anything Goes.
Not 'Corned Beef' and Cabbage
Serve 4
Ingredients
180g soy mince, reconstituted, set aside to swell.  Then drain removing all the excess liquid.

4 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, finely sliced
1/2 white cabbage, finely sliced
1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
1/2 teaspoon paprika (not smoked)
2 tablespoons coriander chutney (for the recipe please follow this link), plus extra for garnishing
Salt and pepper to taste

Optional: 4 eggs, always free range
Method
Heat the oil in a wide pan add the onions and cook until the onions begin to soften.
Then stir in the cabbage and cook until the cabbage begins to soften, stir in the reconstituted soy mince, ketchup, Sriracha sauce, paprika and coriander chutney. Stir well to combine, put the lid back on and cook for 15 - 20 minutes or until the soy mince is cooked and infused with the spices.   
Serve immediately with plain white Basmati rice and Optional: fried eggs and coriander chutney.
Adapted and made suitable for vegetarians from  Caribbean Modern by Shivi Ramoutar,

14 comments:

  1. doesn't that look so handsome a dish... you often lay a fried egg on top of dishes and I think it looks so wonderful but I always forget to do it... this is a great dish. Thanks so much for linking to Simply Eggcellent x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dom. The egg does bring the dish up to another level.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you about the weather. Sounds like you had a nice day and this recipe is very interesting as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the weather is most enjoyable and fresh right now, hope it stays this way at least into November if not longer

      Delete
  3. Interesting! Anything with sriracha goes down well In my house at the moment, as does anything that makes cabbage more exciting. I'd love to try this as a brunch, perhaps using tofu scramble on top instead of the egg... Thanks for sharing this 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarojini. Yes, scrambled tofu would work well and more Sriracha sauce

      Delete
  4. the egg looks so pretty - i still live in hope of finding a vegan substitution that looks so pretty - and i am sure the dish is much nicer than corned beef - never liked the stuff but am interested in seitan corned beef recipes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am reading between the lines here and know what you mean and try not to think about it too much, its the one time that I do eat fried eggs for brekkie, but its not that often - honest,

      Delete
  5. I would quite happily scoff this plate of food if it was put in front of me! I'm loving the sound of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth, its pleases me that you like this. You must check out the original recipe

      Delete
  6. Great minds, Shaheen! I made virtually the same dish but using minced beef. And it was so satisfying I actually omitted the rice, we were quite satisfied with the mince and cabbage. I also cut out the tomato ketchup but included puree because we are quitting sugar! A very tasty dish as you say. Lxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fab Lynne. Do you have the cookbook or was it from the library like moi? Tasty indeed

      Delete
  7. I will have to try a NOT Corned Beef. I don't think I ever have. 1/2 of my background is Irish and I think this would be a great idea for those who are vegan and Irish to do a Vegan version of Corned Beef and Cabbage!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer.
      Hope you get to try it some day and like it, and as for the egg - scrambled tofu egg would work, if you wanted - but its not essential.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You