Friday, 30 October 2015

The Friday Before Halloween

So it's the Friday before Halloween.   I thought I would share this post Five on Fridays hosted by Amy at Love Made My Home.
Last year I was humbled to judge some cakes at a community event in the city centre.  I never got round to sharing the pictures on my blog last year, so here are a selected few from Halloween last year.
One - This one by the way is not one of the entries, it was the prize for the winner. 
Two - These Halloween cupcakes were the winners, for taste but also for visual impact and effort.  I love the individual pumpkin, the witches hat, the grave-stone heads, and look close there is even a spider and a ghost!
 We had this Chocolate Bundt cake covered in skull heads.
Three - There were also plenty of savoury nibbles, such as these creepy black olive spiders.  Not the best picture, but don't they look like they are moving - they were delicious to eat.
Another savoury morsel topped with peppers, olives, sweetcorn and gherkins.
More black olive spiders.
Four - Now we have some home-made spooky up-cycled tins (see first picture); DIY bats made by the children.
DIY Halloween bunting. I love individual and personal touches like these so much.
Five - A little while ago I made this Smoked Chilli Roasted Butternut Squash and Red Onion pastry tart.  Although still to be baked and turned golden, I think the colours are very seasonal!  
On a side note, a work friend is going tomorrow night to Fear Fest Halloween Night.  I am envious a it will be an awesome spooky night, but haven't been able to convince D to go with me, so I am excited for her and look forward to hearing from her come Monday.

Please do pop on over to Five on Fridays hosted by Amy at Love Made My Home to see what other bloggers have shared.

17 comments:

  1. You've shown us some really good ideas for a Halloween party. Have a great time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shaheen

    Great post! Love those winning cup cakes! Such great ideas for nibbles.
    Your tart looks delicious!

    Happy Halloween!
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of that cute and festive Halloween food! I hope you have a Happy Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a creative grouping of Halloween treats - I don't do baking specifically for Halloween, but I'm starting to think that I should ;)

    That tart looks delicious! Such a lovely idea and I'm sure it will look & taste incredible once baked. Hope you post the photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret, sadly I did not get a pictures of the finished tart - it got too dark, I struggle this time of year with pics :(

      Delete
  5. Your Halloween foods are great! Love the witch fallen in the cauldron and those cupcakes and well, they were all so clever! The decorations are so cute. And I enjoyed seeing the butternut squash! Really great Halloween post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie. Yeah the cake prize is awesome, wish I could make something like that.

      Delete
  6. What fantastic creations! Not sure that I would want to eat the olive spiders - I am spider squeamish! - but they are very clever aren't they! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree Amy.
      The spider nibbles are really awesome, I agree. They were quite tasty :)

      Delete
  7. What a fab prize for the winner and must have been so hard to judge. Although the cup cakes look fab, so much work In them and so much patience needed! #fiveonfriday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard to judge Stephanie, but i went on the taste of the cupcake as well as all the work that went into the toppings. Worthy winner.

      Delete
  8. Love all your halloween pics - those bats look really cute - just the sort of think we could make - maybe next halloween. It must have been hard judging - and fun too I hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna. It was hard judging, but I was humbled to be asked.

      Delete
  9. You've made me very hungry with those delicacies.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You