Sunday, 4 January 2015

Early January In My Kitchen

So what is in my kitchen this early January.  I have signed up to do Veganuary Challenge this month, so lots of the ingredients I have in my fridge happen to be vegan:  Non diary milk and sunflower margarine, but these two ingredients can often be found in my fridge, not just for Veganuary, so here are some other bits and pieces around the kitchen that you won't often find in my kitchen.  
I have been drinking lots of herbal infused teas recently due to my chesty cough.  I was given another box of Christmas Collection tea-bags.  I mentioned before that I was introduced to Yogi Tea by my bestest friend Leah when I visited her in the USA, it makes an appearance in my kitchen now and again and makes me feel a little nostaligic.
For lunch, I have been tucking into a bowl full of Black Eyed Peas and Lemon Hot Pot.  The lemony zing is just soothing on my scratchy sore throat.
Image courtesy of Celia from Fig and Jam
I was one of the lucky recipients to receive Sourdough Starter Priscilla through Celia at Fig and Jam and our host for In My Kitchen.  Itcame in the post last month.   Thank you Celia, as advised its in the fridge ready to be used one of these rainy or frosty weekends. 
I travelled into Bristol a few weeks back before Christmas and stopped at an Oriental Supermarket to stock up on some goodies, namely raw adzuki beans, a vital ingredient for my vegan 'facon bacon', which I made last week.  In the above image, you will also see that I was tempted by some Tapioca Pearls, Spicy Seaweed, Kaya - A Malaysian Coconut Jam.  I have the recipe to make my own, but when I saw the jar, well I had to get me some to try.  And a packet of what looks like purple potato wafer rolls, but it was the vivid colour on the packaging that got me interested.  



And finally, I received a foodie hamper from my nephew for Christmas, here are some of the contents.  I am particularly looking forward to Culinary Alchemy of Cradocs Golden Baked Biscuits with Pear and Earl Grey Tea.  Its a little Welsh company and I've had some of their crackers or wafer thin biscuits before and quite enjoy them with good cheese and chutney.  
Talking of chutney, or relish here are a couple also found in the hamper to accompany home made Veggie burgers.  The hamper also included Christmas Pudding - may have to keep that now until December 2015!

I am sharing this post with Celia at Fig and Jam for November edition of In My Kitchen Series. Please go by and check out the other IMK posts. 

12 comments:

  1. Happy new year! I was given Yogi Tea Christmas collection over the holidays, and I've nearly drunk it all! I love choco, chai verte and Himalaya best, but they're all wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarojini. I think theyhave been my fave too, quite surprisingly. Happy New Year to you.

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year Shaheen, wowsa, looks like you've got some exciting packages of things to try out. I'm a bit of a sucker for savoury crackers, cheese and chutneys :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year Sally, Lovely to hear from you.
      I'm a sucker for savoury things too.
      Hope your well.

      Delete
  3. Going to the Asian supermarkets is always interesting. You can puzzle over what's inside packets (as the descriptions are never quite right) and laugh at amusing names, pictures and colours. And, it's never expensive so what have you got to lose? Thanks for your festive tour & enjoy Veganuary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so many interesting things in your kitchen!! I'm not vegan nor strict vegetarian but I do love eating less meat so will be looking through your archives!! Warm regards, Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan for taking the time to come on over and have a nosy in my kitchen. I promise to repay the compliment. Thank you for your warm wishes.

      Delete
  5. Oh how fabulous, Kari at Bite-Sized Thoughts has that brand of tea in her kitchen this month too, but her box design is slightly different to yours. It's like we're getting to see the set over different IMK posts. The designs are so gorgeous! Your soup looks delicious, but I'm sorry to hear you've been unwell! I hope you feel better soon. Was the supermarket you went to in Bristol Wai Yee Hong? I follow them on twitter.. :)

    Glad the starter made it all the way to you, and hope you have great fun with it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Celia for coming on over.
      Yes, I did note that Kari had the same tea, with dif. packaging.
      I am better, just had a scratchy sore throat, not bad enough to take time off work. And yes, that is the supermarket I visit in Bristol. Kind wishes

      Delete
  6. good luck with veganary - sounds like a nice idea but I am more comfortable with Vegan MoFo where I do make lacto ovo recipes some times because that is the way the household goes - but I admire you for doing this - and love the goodies - those pear and earl grey bikkies sounds intriguing and I can't wait to hear how you go with the sourdough

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna. I have to admit I am also comfy with Vegan Mofo for the same reasons as you explain, but I do tend to find that the majority of people that do participate in Vegan Mofo are already committed vegans, whereas Veganuary, challenges those that are not vegan to try a vegan diet for the entire month. I used to do Vegan Tuesdays a long time back, but thought this was even more challenging. I am not finding it that difficult as I think my diet happens to be heavily vegan orientated, but at the end of the day I am still a vegetarian as I do indulge in some lacto ovo recipes. I look forward to trying out the sourdough.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You