Saturday, 3 January 2015

Veggiestans Black-Eyed Bean and Lemon Hot Pot

It's become a bit of a tradition in my home to have black eyed peas in the first week of the New Year, not that D knows it - I just make the black eyed pea dish and he eats it.  Black eyed Peas are reputed to bring you good fortune, don't know how true that is, but we can hope.
This was a welcome dish as I woke up with a sore throat and a chest infection of some sorts.  I've been drinking herbal fruit teas enhanced with echiniacea.  I have no desire to go to the doctors, but may have to if it doesn't clear by next week, anyway, back to this Black-Eyed Bean and Lemon Hot Pot
The recipe for this Black Eyed Bean and Lemon Hot Pot comes from a vegetarian cookbook, gifted to me a couple of months back by my husband for my Birthday.  It it Veggiestan: A Vegetable Lover's Tour of the Middle East by Sally Butcher, I was also gifted Salmagundi (and am awaiting the appearance of Snackistan on my table one-day) also by Sally Butcher. Sally Butcher also runs Persopolis: A Taste of Persia in Peckham a little corner shop, that has a little cafeteria attached to it.

Sally Butcher describes the Hot Pot in the cookbook as a blend of Greek lemonato sauce and Persian casserole wizardry.  How can I top that off.  Other than say, it was really lovely.  I loved the herby lemony zing and I liked how the black eyed beans and potatoes just disintegrated in my mouth.  

Sally Butcher has kindly granted me permission to post the recipe on my blog, I did do one thing differently, as *I am following a vegan diet for Veganuary, I substituted the butter for olive oil. 

Black-Eyed Bean and Lemon Hot Pot
Serves 4
200g black eyed beans, soaked overnight
5 sticks celery, washed
3 carrots, peeled
75g butter (or olive oil*)
2 onions, sliced
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
11/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried dill
Zest and juice of 2 lemons
1 pint vegetable stock
2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
Salt and pepper to taste
Big Handful of chopped fresh parsley
First cut the celery and the carrots into slender batons around 21/2 inches long.  Heat the butter or *oil in a pan, add the carrots, celery and onions and fry until they all begin to soften.  Add the turmeric, herbs and lemon zest followed by the black eyed-beans, lemon juice and stock.  Bring the pan to the boil and set to simmer for 10 minutes, then add the potatoes.  Cook for 30 minutes, or until the black eyed beans and potatoes are really soft and cooked through.  Season to taste.  Sprinkle liberally with parsley and serve with warm bread.  Or rice.  Recipe from Veggiestan by Sally Butcher


  1. I hope you are on the mend quickly...How is the new house?

    1. Thank you E.
      Its just a chesty cough, fortuantely I am not stuck in bed. So back to work tomorrow.
      the new house, is home - still have loads to do, but we have settled in. Here is a link to the garden, plenty of space to grow but I do not have a pic of the kitchen. Hope your well

  2. Yummy, looks like my kind of meal!

  3. That looks absolutely scrumptious! I wish I could use the lemon, but I am allergic to lemons. I may try it with limes, though. I bet it would work.
    May you get over your illness quickly without having to go to the doctor. Remember, apple cider vinegar kills out a lot of viruses. I like to make a hot drink of hot water, apple cider vinegar and honey to help heal ailments faster.

    1. Thank you Anna.
      Sorry to hear your allergic to lemons, you can omit it or try it perhaps with just one lime.
      I've only got a chesty cough, thank goodness as I have to go into work tomorrow, not too bad, but I take on your hot drink tip and remember it for the future, I need to pick up some apple cider, don't have that at home, so for now its echinicea.

  4. This sounds so yummy - I love the fact that black eyed beans are reputed to bring good fortune, we could all do with some of that. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe. this is going to be Tuesday nights tea for sure.

    1. Thank you Lorna. Do make sure you soak the beans overnight, and bare in m mind they may take longer to cook than 30 minutes, I think mine may have took 40 minutes or so, but I lost track of time. Happy Eating. I still have a bowl left, thats after my second bowl today. Good luck to you.

  5. I thought for a second that the book was "Stan's Veggie book" as opposed to Vegg-istan's ! (You have to think carefully about that.)
    I love black-eyed peas, but I had not heard that they are supposed to be lucky. I did know they are "windy" however!

    1. Mark, I am afraid I don't get it, will have to ask my husband if he does, he is more on the ball. Yes, black eyed peas are reputed to bring good luck, last year was better for me. And no I did not encounter any side effects by eating them, perhaps because they were cooked well.:)

  6. Mmmmm. This looks like a hearty winter warmer. I always love the addition of citrus to stews and casseroles. Lovely!

    1. Thank you Kate. The lemony zing was most welcome

  7. I also have Veggiestan, it's a lovely book and you did a great job with this dish!

    1. Have you cooked from it yet, I have a number of other recipes bookmarked to make, but this was the first.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You