Friday, 30 January 2015

Another Vegan Homity Pie

Thanks to Cranks, I've made many variations of the vegetarian Homity Pie at home, but last year I made a vegan version of it with vegan cheese substitute and guess what, I actually liked it and so did D.
This vegan cheese alternative came from Vegusto.  So far, its been the only vegan cheese that I don't mind eating now and again; and its the one I will pick up if I am ever catering for vegan friends.  Its good warm or cold.  I have actually taken it into work for lunch and even a picnic in the past, but the next time I made this will be for those long exploratory or rambling walks. 

Vegan Homity Pie Filling
Have ready 6 oval blind baked pastry (choose your own recipe, could even be gluten free)
600g potatoes, chopped into cubes
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium onion, finely sliced
2 - 4 tablespoons vegan Oatly Oat Cream
200g No Moo Melty Vegusto Diary Free Cheese Alternative, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon parsley, minced
Salt and pepper
Boil the potatoes until tender then drain and set aside to cool.
Heat the oil and then fry the onions until soft, then stir in the potatoes to coat with the onions and cook for about 5 minutes, before stirring in the vegan cream, half of the vegan cheese alternative, herb, salt and pepper to taste.  Take off the heat and stir very quickly to coat well, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary and allow to cool (feel free to mash it a little if you so wish).
When cool, spoon generously and evenly between the blind baked pastry cases.  Scatter over the remaining vegan cheese alternative and bake for 20 minutes in the oven.  


  1. These sound like the ultimate comfort food, lovely! X

  2. looks delicious - I love vegusto too (it is my favourite for taste but for meltiness I love biolife which I think might go under the name violife in europe) I love pies and am doing better with pastry lately so should make more of an effort to make this

    1. Thanks Johanna, I will have to see if biolife/violife sells here and give it a go. Neither of us is overly keen on vegan cheese, but we will give it a go - me more than D, he loves his dairy cheese more than me.

  3. Hello!! Live from my kitchen in Buenos Aires, Argentina, I´m cooking this recipe right now. They are in the oven...

    1. I hope you enjoy. Let me know please.
      Hope you and your little family are doing well too.

    2. It was a hit!

      If you can see the photo, my son made de edition of it.
      Thank you!

  4. I can't seem to access it Veronica,
    I wish I could, is there any other way you can share post, maybe via your blog.

  5. Oh! yes, I did it with my son's tablet :( I'll try again. It's to much tecno for me!!

  6. Thank you I managed to see it on FB. It is stunning in the heart shaped baking tin, perfect for the month of Love!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You