Saturday, 17 January 2015

Butternut Squash and Peanut Butter Curry

Work has been keeping me distracted, so blogging about my vegan eats in the month of Veganuary has been low priority, but I have continued with the challenge and have to say I am doing very well indeed.  

I am very tired when I get home, I think the early morning starts are getting to me now, especially when it is unwelcoming outside.  The weather has been blustery, wet, icy, snowy and windy which is absolutely fine when your in a warm home or wrapped up well before stepping outdoors, but it has been playing havoc with our garden.  The garden pergola has moved a bit more, its looking more like the 'leaning tower of Pisa', but unlike the Tower of Pisa this pergola will be falling down the next time we get a strong gust of gale force winds, we are certain of it.  The greenhouse has lost a window pane.  You lose one and its impacts on the rest of the greenhouse.  We can only hope the weather calms down.

So back to food.  Of course I have been cooking and eating, just not blogging about it.  I have been making large one-pot meals.  The most recent was a Butternut Squash and Peanut Butter Curry.  I apologise in advance that there is no photograph as its just way to dark in the evening to take a photograph that would do the recipe justice.  The recipe for the Butternut Squash Curry is exactly the same as the African Sweet Potato and Groundnut Curry. I just substituted the Sweet Potatoes for Butternut Squash. It was delish!
Peanut butter is a fabulous natural thickener.  I do tend to buy the Meridian brand, but was recently tempted by this Mother Africa Peanut Butter jar as the colourful packaging and name grabbed my attention.  Sometimes I am a sucker for labels, not designer labels though - I have never ever been a follower of fashion or trends, I know its not the case, but I do sometimes think that I must be among a small minority of people living in the U.K, and more specifically Wales who has not done a selfie?! 


The recipe makes a rather large portion so you can imagine its great to come home to.  It reheats either on the stove top or in the microwave. 
Butternut Squash and Peanut Butter Curry
Serves 6 - 8 with rice
Ingredients
3 - 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
 large onion, finely sliced
2 - 3 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt to taste
2 tins x 400g tinned tomatoes, chopped
1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
200ml water
2 - 3 tablespoons crunchy or smooth peanut butter
Method
In a wide pan, heat the oil, then stir in the onion and garlic and cook until soft, then stir in the spices and cook for a minute of so before stirring in the chopped tomatoes,  Cook with the lid on for 20  minutes, stirring from time to time until the tomatoes have softened and become a thick sauce.  Then stir in the chopped butternut squash and cook for a few minutes, before stirring in the water.   Bring to a boil, the reduce heat and cook until the butternut squash is cooked, check by piercing a fork or knife through it.   When the vegetable is soft, stir in the peanut butter and ensure it blends into the thick spiced tomato sauce. Adjust seasoning if necessary, then serve with either rice or bulgar wheat.  

16 comments:

  1. I love the sound of this recipe and I have the ingredients in the pantry. Thank you. Our weather is much like yours, and minus ten degrees today. A hearty curry would be welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brenda. Do hope your well, I know I owe you an e mail, but forgive me, I will write some time soon. Do hope you enjoy this, if you find it is too thick towards the end, just add some water to it and bring to the boil.

      Delete
  2. Ooh this sounds delicious! I love peanut butter in anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veganbeckles. Its not an original recipe as loads appear in cookbooks and blogosphere, but it is very nice.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a nice easy but tasty meal for a mid-week supper. We had a good curry this week with butternut squash and lentils. You wouldn't have liked it though because it also had lamb in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, easy indeed. Must try one with lentils :)

      Delete
  4. Now, this sounds right up our street! I cooked my husband a satay dish a few years ago and he was thrilled to bits with it, so this would be very acceptable, I think.
    I too used to get up at silly-o'clock when I was a hospital-based health visitor in the last 6 years before retiring. On dark cold winter mornings it was so unbearable I just did it all with my eyes shut as quickly as possible. Not the drive to work, of course! I opened my eyes then! I finished work at 2pm but never made use of the early finish because I would fall asleep! Thanks for this lovely recipe, adn hope your pergola stands up to the winds! Lx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne. I think I've had satay once in my life, need to give it a go, esp. as i have so much peanut butter now.
      Yes so true finishing early, means being tired in the evening and going to bed early. The pergola hasn't moved any more yet, but the fence partitioning ours and the neighbours garden has fallen down :(

      Delete
  5. I love bns, peanut butter and curry but never had them all in the same pan before - I will be giving this a try this week I think - thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorna, I really do hope you like this, if you find the dish is too thick at the end, add a touch of water to loosen.

      Delete
  6. I can relate so much to the tiredness, bad weather, lack of blogging at the moment! I'm sure it will get better towards spring, it's just something about this time of year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks VegHog.
      Yes, looking forward to springtime.

      Delete
  7. Using peanut butter to thicken - now this is a lovely idea!
    I have never used peanut butter to thicken any sauce, but now I am going to try.
    Have a Beautiful Week, Shaheen!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chandra, do hope your keeping well. I'll come on over later.

      Delete
  8. I've not used peanut butter in this way before..... But I will do now!!!! Makes total sense and sounds wonderful! Could quite happily eat this curry right now with it being so chilly....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a totally new way for me too a few years back, but it makes sense rather than pulsing some fresh peanuts at home, and lets face it not everyone has a super duper blender.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You