Monday, 19 January 2015

Chocolate Habenero Black Turtle Bean Chilli

Another one pot dish and one that relies on store-cupboard ingredients, except of course for the chocolate habenero chilli that I picked up when I was in the big city a few months back, around the same time when I picked up dried marigold petals for my vegan Sweet Potato Chocolate Cake.  I had not intended to buy any dried chillies, let alone Chocolate Habenero but whilst staring at spice filled glass jars it just seemed to leap out at me and I was tempted.  

It does have subtle chocolate undertones, and an earthy and spicy chilli kick , but and here is the but, it did not blow me away as I had expected.  My chilli tolerance is quite high, my reasoning - I am of South Asian heritage and chilli runs through my veins - but I found this particular brand of chocolate habenero chilli was not overly spice hot.  The only thing that I can think was that the chillies were, perhaps on the shelf too long and therefore may have lost its vava voom, still the home-made chilli was very, very nice and I would a happily make it again. 
This was just going to be a straight-forward Black Bean Chilli made simply with black turtle beans so called because of the black shiny dark shell like appearance, but I also decided to throw in some winter greens (such as sprout heads, but any type of kale will do), and a can of sweetcorn for colour. It worked out lovely giving more body and texture to the dish.  
So far, we have had this dish with plain boiled Basmati rice.  D suggested that this would be good as an Enchillada filling, I agree but I don't have any tortilla wraps, so it will be more rice or perhaps even potatoes.  


I am sharing this recipe with Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary who hosts No Waste Food Challenge and  January's edition of My Legume Love Affair #79 which was created by Susan of The Well Seasoned Cook.  It is now run by Lisa of Lisa's kitchen who happens to be this months host too. 

Chocolate Habenero Black Turtle Bean Chilli with Winter Greens and Sweetcorn
Serves 6 as an accompaniment
Ingredients
250g black turtle beans, soaked overnight.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 medium onions, finely sliced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 - 3 Chocolate Habenero chillies, rehydrated, then minced or 4 small red chillies, sliced
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 x 400g can of tomatoes, chopped
1 head of winter greens, washed and minced

1 x can sweetcorn, drained and rinsed
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
In a wide pan, cook beans in water until tender.  Drain and set aside.
In a saucepan, warm the oil on medium heat.  Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions become soft.  Add the chilli and spices until fragrant, then stir in the chopped tomatoes.  Cover and cook until the tomatoes disintegrate.  Then stir in the black beans and shredded greens  and simmer on medium heat for 30 minutes or until the beans and greens are tender, then stir in the sweetcorn and cook for a further 5 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.


16 comments:

  1. Yummy! I like the sprout or kale idea as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some kale in the garden, yet to pick - most lost to the bugs :(

      Delete
  2. Chocolate habanero chillis sound interesting- do they taste chocolatey at all? I like to put cacao into chillis. This looks like a really good winter supper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a hint of chocolate. I like the idea of cacao into chillies.

      Delete
  3. Well, I would certainly enjoy that dish, and for me the rather mild chilli is best. I don't like the super-hot ones. Black beans have a certain fascination for me - they seem so much more appropriate than any others in this sort of meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. I am sure you would. I totally enjoy eating black beans, bu they do have to be cooked well.

      Delete
  4. ...looks yummy...I probably can't stand the habanero though...

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shaheen,
    This looks very delicious.
    May even work for me sans chocolate or if I use unsweetened chocolate.
    I think this can also be had as a dip for dipping baked pitta chips.
    I am thinking this will make a great meal pre and post a nice long cycle!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chandra.
      Oh def. perfect for dipping pitta chips in.

      Delete
  6. Certainly an interesting sounding dish that I would be sure to enjoy. Thanks for sharing with MLLA. The roundup is a bit late this month, but it's coming soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sound of this recipe - proper comfort food, this! Thank you for linking up with the no waste food challenge (but can I cheekily ask you to link to the challenge page?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth. Genuine apologies, I thought I had, its done now. I have ensured that the present challenge is linked and it is. Really don't know how I missed it this time round. Once again, Sorry.

      Delete
  8. Just checking out your chocolate habenero chilli now - I am sorry for you that it wasn't so spicy but that would suit me fine! And I can highly recommend making your own tortillas - I have made them a few times and they really are quite easy - though I know it is another step in dinner which is hard when you get home from work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the new beetroot version, I actually upped the chilli a touch, but that was more for my taste :) I make awesome perfect round roti's aka chappati's, so should give a go at the tortilla - I used to avoid it in the past as masa harina was an essential ingredient and it is way to pricey for me, but have seen other recipes that make it without. Maybe I will give it a try one day, but not after work - that would be madness!

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You