Sunday, 25 January 2015

Vegan Welsh Cakes for St Dwynwen's Day

I have a great fondness for Scotland.  It was home for over 10 years.  I went to University there, got married there, I began my gardening and cooking blogging journey there and so much more, so celebrating Burns Night in our home has become a bit of a tradition,just take a gander at some of these vegan and vegetarian meals that I created at home with vegan haggis: both home-made and shop bought.

I also have an affinity with Wales.  It was where I was born and raised and its my home once again. Today, the 25 January not only marks Burns Night, in Wales its St Dwynwen's Day -Welsh Day of Love .  Follow this link to read more about Wales Patron Saint of Love.   

So what Celtic tradition to celebrate? well both of course!
A simple Burns Supper for the evening that will look something like this Vegan Tower of Haggis, Neep and Tatties served with some greens, followed later with some home-made Welsh Cakes.  
With Veganuary in full swing, I thought why not make a vegan version for St Dwynwen's Day. I've made Vegan Welsh cakes many many times, but surprisingly it has never featured on my blog, the only version has been the one made with butter - the vegetarian version.   I know there is no shortage of vegan welsh cake recipes on blogosphere.  Search and ye will find, but this is my offering.  My husband has had the vegan version many times and has never complained.  There is a small variation in taste, the vegan version is not as 'melt in the mouth' as the traditional ones made with butter, but these are still very good.   And if your wondering what I love you is in Welsh it's Dwi'n dy garu di '.  

Dydd Santes Dwynwen Haput!

Vegan Welsh Cakes for St Dwynwen Day
Makes lots
Ingredients (can easily be doubled)
280g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
1 teaspoon baking powder

100g caster sugar, plus extra to dusting
Pinch of salt

1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
110g Vegan margarine
90g - 100g dried fruit (raisins or sultanas)* 
2 - 3 tablespoons non dairy milk

*Other additional options

100g dessicated coconut
40g toasted and chopped nuts

50g non dairy chocolate chips
or cherries, blueberries, etc
Sieve flour into a large bowl, stir in the baking powder, sugar, salt, mixed spice and cinnamon.  Add the margarine and rub together with your fingers to make fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the mixed fruit. (or optional extras).

Then little by little, stir in the milk until the mixture comes together as a dough.  
Cover with cling film and leave in fridge to chill for 30 minutes or so. 
Roll out onto floured surface to a thickness of 3/4 cm and cut out with round cookie cutter (or whatever shape your heart desires).  
You will need to gather the dough and re-roll the dough.
Heat up your un-oiled griddle pan or non-stick frying pan and cook the cakes  over medium heat for about 3 minutes on each side until golden - brown, be careful not to over do them.
Cool on a wire rack and sprinkle liberally with caster sugar.  These are best eaten warm.


  1. Is that a picture of St.Dwynwen? If so, he is not exactly "sex on a stick" is he?? :) Enjoy your dinner!

    1. Of course not :) St Dwynwen is a woman.
      Your comment did have me falling out of my chair though, I agree with you - but I have to add - beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

  2. These sound so good, I will try these out tonight! X

  3. I'm going to make these! I've had a yearning for welsh cakes for a while, but I hadn't looked to see if they could be veganised yet, thank you for saving me some research! :)

    1. Hope you like Susie. I hope to make them for vegan friends in the very near future, this time the nephew who LOVES welsh cakes got them and he approved of the vegan version too.

  4. Sounds like a lovely multi cultural meal - funny how close Scotland and Wales are and have different traditions compared to Australia where people live so far apart and celebrate quite similar traditions! Nice that you still have a Burns supper

    1. Thanks Johanna, it so was - someone told me it was India day too.

  5. they look sweet and yummy!

    ~Have a lovely day!

  6. Welsh cakes sounds yummy - my little family may be getting a treat very soon. Thank you for the recipe

    1. Thank you Lorna. Hope your little family like them.

  7. Excited to try these out on St David's day!

    1. This is the vegan version, you will also find link to a vegetarian version too. Just wanted to say, thank you so much for choosing to follow my blog, it really is appreciated. I will come on by and visit your blog, now that we are acquainted.

  8. Reading through this recipe, I have found it interesting that so many cultures have a similar "fried bread" which each culture claims as their own! Welsh cakes are quite similar to Aboriginal "johnny cakes" and Maori fried bread - although these Welsh cakes do sound much tastier with the addition of dried fruit and spices! Will definitely be trying these :)

    1. Thanks Kyra. I agree with you - so much cross over with cultures and embracing of other cultures too. I know of Johny Cakes as the African Slaves during the slave trade made them, but they were mostly savoury to my knowledge. I guess Australian's Campfire Bread may have roots in Irish Soda Bread. In the UK, migrants from the Indian Sub Continent created two dishes you will have heard of, Balti and Tikki - these are uniquely British as noone in the Indian Sub Continent would recognise them as food the know. Hence how it becomes part of a nation's identity, all fascinating stuff and I could talk about it for ages. Hope you get to try these for Valentines Day, they are good for any day - best eaten warm too!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You