Monday, 5 January 2015

Smoked Paprika Red Kidney Bean Schnitzels

I bookmarked this Red Kidney Bean Schnitzel recipe immediately when I saw it in October on The Veg Hogs blog.  I have been meaning to make it for months, but I did not always have all the ingredients to hand, namely the semolina and dried sage.  

Finally I got some semolina, (Thanks to my mother who tends to keep semolina for her Halwa recipes) and decided to make it over the weekend.
These golden vegan schnitzels were proper crunchy on the outside.  I loved it.  After my teeth had bit through the crisp exterior, came the smoky spicy soft inside, delightful.  I served these schnitzels simply with a light rocket salad and a red tomato chutney; or like D you could just dollop a bit of brown sauce next to it.   
I followed the recipe pretty much as it was, but as I have signed up for Veganuary for the month of January, I omitted the egg.  To be quite honest, the beany mixture was quite pliable that it did not necessarily warrant egg as a binder.  The second change I made, I wanted to use Japanese panko breadcrumbs that have been staring at me, every time I went over to one of the kitchen cupboards, but please feel free to use additional semolina as suggested by the Veg Hog, or even fresh breadcrumbs, made with stale bread.  Whichever way you decide to coat it, these are delicious morsels to snack on any time of day.  
Thank you Veg Hog for sharing the recipe with us. And please, please dear readers do go by and check her blog -The Veg Hog, I have found her blog space utterly refreshing, down to earth, homely, honest and unpretentious. I am also sharing this bookmarked recipe with Jacqueline at Tinned Tomatoes for January's edition of Bookmarked Recipes.



Smoked Paprika Red Kidney Bean Schnitzel
Makes about 8 -10
Ingredients
1 large onion
2 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
480g/2 cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or chilli powder)
1 teaspoon sage (or thyme)
½ salt
½ ground black pepper
100ml fine semolina
For outer coating
Semolina, Japanese panko breadcrumbs or fresh breadcrumbs
Vegetable oil of shallow frying
Method
Chop the onions and garlic finely and cook them in vegetable oil until soft.
Add the beans and seasoning and let cook for 10 minutes.  All excess liquid should be evaporated during the cooking.  Crush the beans a little bit after the cooking and let the mix cool.  Add the semolina to the mix and stir it into an even firm dough.
Shape the dough into schnitzel or burger shapes, mine were more podgy and oblong shaped. 
Then roll and press them into the panko breadcrumbs, fresh breadcrumbs or semolina. 
Shallow fry in vegetable oil until golden on both sides.  Serve immediately.
Recipe by The Veg Hog.  Follow this link for the original Red Kidney Bean Schnitzel

13 comments:

  1. Well done Shaheen! Yours look so nice and I really like your suggestions as well! Thank you also for linking to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much VegHog for the inspiration and the approval. It really was delicious.

      Delete
  2. The VegHog always has amazing recipes. These look delicious. :9

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look sooo much better then the shop versions! We have a big bag of organic red kidney bean from our last Suma order, so I'll try them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Saroj. They certainly are much better. I hope you get to try them if you can.

      Delete
  4. what I love best about these is that they're fried with the crispy coating which adds a well needed crunch and texture... beautiful stuff... whilst in California last week we went to a vegan restaurant that you would have LOVED... so much choice!... Happy New Year to you xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dom, you really make my heart happy. I am envious of your trip to California and the trip to the vegan restaurant, would love to know which one it was. Happy Happy New Year to you and yours.

      Delete
  5. Hi Shaheen, just begun to "follow" you, having been directed to your blog by Lou at Rainbow Chard. I'm a new (though elderly!) gardener, who found Rainbow Chard nd am now DELIGHTED to find you too. I shall sit up and have a good read of your recipes - I'm an enthusiastic cook.Thanks for all the great recipes and links! Lynne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lynne, it is so kind of you to follow. It is so lovely to make your acquaintance through Lou. Lou is really lovely. I am a fan of her blog. I look forward to reading your blog too. I have left a message for you on the Laverbread post, please do e mail me with your address.

      Delete
  6. Shaheen- A belated but heartfelt Happy Holidays to you. 2014 was a bit of an over-scheduled train wreck for me and I dearly missed keeping up with my own blog and especially the wonderful blogs of others like yourself.So I have purposefully cut back on some commitments this year and hope to be a much better reader and follower for you this year. Happy New Year, I can't wait to see all of your wonderful ideas come to life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lexa - Lexa - Lexa
      Lovely to hear from you x
      Thank you for your warm wishes, understand that 2014 was not a good year, the past few years have been not so good for me either, just got back into blogging in the way I used too, so am hoping to continue. I hope you will do so too, but don't worry, just drop in now and again and say hello. Do hope 2015 is a blessed year and kinder and warmer year for you. Truly appreciate your warm words, mean a lot.

      Delete
  7. Oh yummy, Shaheen.
    Thanks for sharing these.

    Have a Beautiful Day!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You