Thursday, 21 October 2010

Savoury Mushroom and Leek Pudding

My mother-in-law, and late father-in-law often checked out my blog. It was their way of keeping an eye on our antics and our occasional travels around Scotland. Neither of them are that fussed about eating vegetables or interested in foodie trends like pasta, pizza or polenta. Like many people of there generation, they are very old fashioned in their eating habits. The dinner plate has to consist of meat and two vegetables. But saying that, since travelling overseas and sampling different 'ethnic' cuisines, my father-in-law had become a lot more adventurous in his eating, enjoying Greek spanakopita and Turkish pizza Lamucan. Anyway, when they saw these savoury leek puddings on my blog early this year, they were both on the telephone telling us how good they looked: traditional and hearty. In fact, my mother-in-law said something that sounded to my ears 'we are drooling over your vegetarian suet puddings'. This secretly pleased me - a vegetable based dish of mine they liked the look of. Success.

Well the time has come, to start making these savoury puddings again. Its rich in flavour, filling , warming and Perfect for wintery days. These puddings are made with vegetarian suet. The brand I used is suitable for vegans too.

Mushroom and Leek Savoury PuddingsYou will need 5 -6 mini pudding basins with lids*
Serves 5 - 6
Ingredients
For the Suet Pudding300g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Salt and pepper to taste
100g vegetarian suet (make sure it is suitable for vegans too, as not all are)
Cold water
For the filling2 large leeks, sliced
250- 300g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
MethodFor the fillingHeat the olive oil, add the leeks and sweat on a low heat for about 20 minutes, until soft. Then add the mushrooms and vegetable bouillon powder and cook for a further 10 minutes, when they have softened. Season well and turn of the heat.
For the suet puddingMix all the dry ingredients and the herbs in a large bowl. Mix in enough cold water to make a firm dough. Divide the dough into 5, roll the pastry out on a well-floured work surface, to about 3mm thick circles that are big enough to fill the pudding basin with a small overhand. Line the pudding bowls with the pastry, gently easing it round the sides for a snug fit. Divide the filling between the pudding basins. The filling should be 1cm below the rim. Take each pudding in turn and with a sharp knife trim off the excess pastry level with the rim. Re-roll this excess pastry and cut out 5 circles big enough to cover the tops. Place the pastry tops on top of the filling and press the edges together to make a firm seal. Trim off any excess. *My pudding basins have lids, but if yours do not, cover with foil and tie with a jute string. Then place the puddings into a large steamer. Cover with the lid and steam for for 30 - 40 minutes, or until the pastry is cooked. Leave to cool for a few minutes and then ease a small knife around each pudding and turn them out.

20 comments:

  1. Oooh I love suet puddings. I have never made mini puddings before - they look really cute. I might need to add the mini basins to my ever growing list of new equipment I need.
    Who ever said food blogging would be a cheap hobby????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you.
    I got my mini pudding basins from Lakeland a few years ago. With the seasonal holidays approaching, I am sure they'll have some in stock. Once you've got them though, they should last.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of doing pudding like this before. I swear you introduce me to lots of great meals every time you post. This looks really fancy and cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The combination of thyme and leek would be so wonderfully earthy and robust, ...Gosh I love leeks and that's why we grew them for the first time this year. I hate to harvest them, they look so bluely beautiful. Ah well...

    So..mini pudding basins from Lakeland..that's a great grocery, and I especially like their waxed circles for jam making..which I used today... loved your Rose Hip jelly recipe M/C !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. american asking here...i had to google 'suet' and have two questions - 1) beef fat is not something i would just go purchase here at my local store, and 2) as this is a vegetable dish otherwise, is a vegetarian substitute for suet that would work for this??

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting recipe! To think that there is vegan suet - ?!

    By the way, I love the picture on the top of your page - got to love that rainbow chard!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is vegetarian suet and where can I find it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. These mini puddings are adorable! They look really heartwarming dishes, and I could quite easily eat about 5 of these all to myself (well, they are MINIs aren't they? *winks*).
    Thanks for your kind words on my blog, btw. I must say, your culinary creations on this site totally rock!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh they look nice and I have got a glut of leeks and mushrooms...my supermarket del was doing 2 for 1 and gave me the extra 1 free even though I didn't ask for it.
    Going to hunt down some pudding basions now. I haven't got a steamer so will try to do it with a bain marie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This recipe looks SO interesting to me!!! I love all of your creative and different ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jacklyn.
    This is an old fashioned English pudding. Not very fashionable these days, but I like these vegan versions. Soemthign that was not possible 10 years ago.


    Thank you Gardeningbren.
    Yes leeks growing do look rather dashing, but they are not there for admiring you know. You must pick them and eat them too :)

    The mini basins I have are plastic, you can also get metal ones but they do not come with lids. I will be over to check out your rosehip/cranberry jelly too.


    EcoGrrl.
    Please follow the link on the blog entry. I've pasted it below too.
    http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.com/2010/09/vegan-mushroom-and-spinach-roly-poly.html

    1) As a veggie I too would not puchase beef fat, I've never eaten cow in my life and don't intend to start now. 2) The suet used in my recipe was suitable for vegetarians and vegans too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Miss Rachel.
    I know - amazing how much is avaialbe on the market these days catering to vegetarian and vegan diets.


    Hello e,
    I guess I should have made it more clearer. I just assumed readers of my blog already knew what vegetarian suet was. I did put a link on it on this particular blog entry for those who were not fmailiar with it to follow. I have cut and pasted it below to give more info on what 'suet' is and the vegetarian version.

    http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.com/2010/09/vegan-mushroom-and-spinach-roly-poly.html

    As to where you can find it? I am unsure where you can get it where are, but the internet may be a good place to start. Here in the U.K it is readily available at the supermarkets.


    Thank you Foodiva.
    Yes they are small, but very hearty. I think you'd fall over if you ate all 5 :D

    Thanks Plummy Mummy.
    You can make these puddings in metal containers too, and then bake it in a bain marie in the oven. And if you can't track down mini basins, just make a big one and bring to the talbe ceremonioulsy to cut into.


    Thank you so much Morgan.
    I try to be creative in the kitchen. This is a old fashioned recipe though, just brought up to date a little.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mangocheeks! Your blog is gorgeous! Something to aspire to! How did you find mine?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so, so much Eileen.
    How did I find you?I think it was to do with your lovely pumpkin recipes. So many and all so different.

    Wish I had found your blog much earlier. You have so many wonderful recipes here. I am going to have my dinner first, then I am setting in front of the computer read through your blog. You blog offers so many inspirational ideas too. Kind wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so intrigued by this! I've never had anything like it; it looks delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mo,
    I only evr had the sweet version at school as roly poly (did not know then, like jelly that is contained animal ingredients). The savoury versions, I discovered much later, thanks to Rose Elliot.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We must be kindred spirits! My nutloaf looks like your mushroom tofu loaf and my collard rolls look like your chard bundles! There is definitely a European style of vegetarian cooking that I'm starting to wrap my head around. You are a great example of it, and I've recently found out about this http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/series/thenewvegetarian There is something very refined about this style. I feel like American vegetarian cooking is a little sloppy so I'm going to try and step it up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello!
    this pudding is very tempting!!
    I should try to do it myself..

    Ciao Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Barbara.
    Once you get the suet pudding basin right, its real straight forward. I'd encourage you to make it :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh e,
    Such a lovely comment and compliment. Thank you so much.

    Its only recently that British and Irish creative vegetarian cooking has advanced. I have to praise culinary talents such as Nadine Abensur, Denis Cotter, Paul Gayler... who have emphasised innovative and flavour packed vegetarian cuisine moreso.

    Although the New Vegetarian in the Guardian has been excellent in introducing new ingredients and ways of eating vegetarian food to a new audience who would normally turn there nose up at the thought of eating vegetarian dishes. Many of the recipes that feature in this column, follow the tradition of the chefs named above - all of whom have been introducing world flavours and fusion cuisine for a long while. The New Vegetarian also compliments vegetarian food eateries in the U.K such as The Gate, Food for Thought and others that sadly do not have the limelight thrust upon them. What I am trying to say is that many of these recipes featured there are also influenced by world cuisines, including those from USA. I mean who in the world can make tofu look rather delectable. America has been at the forefront of vegan recipes too. So although you may think American vegetarian cuisine is rather sloppy, I think otherwise. I think both sides have something positive to offer. What is making vegetable based cuisine exciting is the influences and fusion of different ethnic cuisine and ingredients.

    PS I wonder what we would be like in the kitchen together :D Kind and warm wishes to you e!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You