Tuesday, 19 October 2010

Spiced Mushroom Pastry Roll

The flavours of this delicately spiced mushroom roll actually reminded me a little of the South Asian street snack: samosa. Other than that, there was nothing else about it that was samosa like, as this included mashed potatoes and was baked in the oven to puff up, whereas, samosas have cubes of potato and are traditionally deep fried. Saying that, this spiced mushroom pastry roll also reminded me of these Caribbean Aloo pies which are made with mashed potatoes and is deep fried.
This is not a hand-held pie either. It is made like a vegetable wellington, but roly poly style. One that needs to be sliced, plated up and shared. Saying that for ease you could slice it like pinwheels.
This is really a good recipe and one I’d encourage you to try when you are looking for some comfort food.
This spicy mushroom pastry roll is good eaten at room temperature too.
Spiced Mushroom Pastry Roll
Serves 6
Ingredients400g mashed potato
2 tablespoon oil
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 medium onion, finely sliced
1 red chilli, minced or ½ teaspoon of chilli powder
1 teaspoon garam masala2 spring onions, sliced
300g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
Salt and pepper
4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or coriander
375g ready rolled Puff pastry
Milk or soy milk to glaze
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
MethodHeat oil in a wide pan and gently fry the garlic, chilli and onion. Cook until the onion is soft, add the garam masala, mushrooms and spring onions and cook for about 5 minutes until just soft. Remove from the heat. To the pan, stir in the mashed potatoes, parsley and combine well. Season to taste. Roll out the puff pastry to a rectangle about 30 x 40cm. Place the pastry on a greased tray. Spread the mix over the pastry, leaving a margin around the edges, then roll up like a roulade and turn it over so that the seem side is down. Glaze with milk, sprinkle with the seeds and bake on Gas mark 6 for 25 – 30 minutes or until golden and risen. Leave for a few minutes before slicing. Serve with a green salad and a minted sauce. Idea inspired by Another Dinner is Possible: More than just a vegan cookbook.

This recipe was made by fellow blogger at Please Do Not Feed the Animals. Please do go check out this link and this lovely blog.


  1. Yummy..this will be a great dinner for me :) when i am alone at home and baking it for myself only :D

  2. Moon - This is pretty big, you sure you want to eat it alone ?

    :) Enjoy!

  3. This sounds delicious...the filling must taste earthy and robust with a good use of left over potato as well.

    I think, hands down, cumin is my favourite seed spice..well, I do like fennel a lot also...)))

    Have permission to pick some lovely round fat (cultivated) rose hips tomorrow..so am trying your rose hip jelly again and could (BIG SMILE), post about it)))if it turns out! Gosh your recipe is good, and all that vitamin c..so good for the body... thank you again for such a great recipe. It's a keeper.

  4. Thanks for stopping by Three Simple Girls. You have some deeee-licious looking things on here... mmm!

  5. mashed potato and mushroom in pastry sounds like excellent comfort food - and good brunch food too come to think of that!

  6. Nice and clear demonstration, thanks for sharing! :)

  7. Thanks Gardeningbren.
    Yes, def. on to make if you have left over mashed potato.

    Like you, cumin is my favourite seed spice.

    Lucky you to find some more fat (cultivated) rose hips. Happy picking and rose hip jelly making. I am looking forward to reading about it and seeing your jars :) Re the rosehip jelly recipe. We must thank the Women Institute in the U.K.

    Thank you Simple Girls!

    Thanks Johanna.
    Your right, it would also be good brunch grub!

    Thank you so much Craig Rockfield.
    Lovely to make your acquaintance :)

  8. Goodness what a delicious looking meal. I'm going to try it out this weekend!

  9. Thank you ColorSlut.
    I hope you enjoy.

  10. I have some garam masala in the pantry getting old and not enough ideas on how to use it. I am not very confident with Indian spices, I am learning very slowly... to slowly!!!
    Thank you for the idea.


  11. Alessandra, ditch it - get a new jar or make it from scratch. Plenty of recipes on the blog.

    One of my favourite ways to enjoy garam masala is over dahl. Once cooked, just scatter generously over the dahl. Its often used in the same manner as salt and pepper.

  12. Interesting combo of potatoes and mushroom but I have to admit i really like it, I just have to wait the day my husbands goes to office to make it (he doesn't like mushroom, oh well, more for me)

  13. Gringarl.
    Make this for your hubbie. He may just change his mind on mushrooms.

  14. Aw, this looks awesome! *drewl*

  15. Thank you so much gnoegnoe.
    Nice to make your acquaintance.

  16. This would be perfect for an autumn meal, Mango. It looks delicious!

  17. Thank you so much Barbara.
    I agree, its both warming and comforting.

  18. An award for you :)


  19. Thank you so much for thinking of me Library Mermaid.

  20. I hope you don't mind me stealing this and blogging about it - http://pleasedonotfeedtheanimals.blogspot.com/2010/11/spiced-mushroom-pastry-roll.html

  21. Please do not feed the animals/Louise.
    Not at all. Its a lovely compliment. Thanks for letting me know out of courtesy though, I appreciate it.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You