Wednesday, 13 October 2010

Pumpkin Polenta Pizza

A little bit of sunshine on my plate.
Of course this is not strictly a pizza, as its base is made up of polenta and it is not smothered in a tomato sauce, but I did not know what else to call it.
A good thing about this pizza is you can make it pretty much all in advance. In this case, just don’t melt the cheese until your ready to eat.

I created this for Charley who has just harvested a colourful array of pumpkin and squashes. I hope she likes. D did not mind it, he thought it could have benefited from a little bit of red sauce (not from a bottle).
The green in the polenta comes from the coriander pesto. I only added it because I had some in the fridge from this meal. If you don’t want to include it whilst the polenta is cooking, you can also smear this on top of the polenta when it resting; or you can omit it all together if you wish. If you don’t like coriander, use a different herb, sage would work well too. Same with the cheese, if you don’t like goats cheese, substitute either with fontina, grated mozzarella, or a vegan alternative.

Upon baking the polenta base acquires a soft-crisp texture, whereas the herbs and pumpkin slices delicately flavour. The colours perked me up considering it was rather grey outside. This pumpkin polenta pizza is suitable for those on a gluten free diet.
It is rather pretty at this stage like pantomime fiery flames against the herb flecked polenta. Its good when cooked too.

Pumpkin Polenta Pizza
Serves 2 or 4 with accompaniments such as a light peppery salad
For the polenta base
125g quick cook polenta
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: 2 tablespoon of coriander pesto. Recipe here.
Method for the polenta base
Make the polenta first according to your packet instructions. Mine read to 125g polenta add ½ litre water. As soon as it starts to thicken, add in the pesto stir quickly to combine then pour into a round non-stick or greased flan tin measuring about 91/2 inch. Adjust polenta if your flan tin is bigger.
With the back of a spoon spread the mix evenly and leave to set. When firm, tip out carefully onto a lightly oiled pizza tray. Optional: If you have not stirred the coriander pesto into the polenta, you can smear the polenta top with coriander pesto.
Ingredients for the topping
1 small squash or a good wedge (quarter) of a medium pumpkin
Olive oil
4 round slices from a goats cheese log
Optional: chilli flakes
Now either use your mandolin; or a knife and carefully slice the pumpkin thinly as possible.
Layer the polenta evenly with the pumpkin slices, coating each layer with a little olive oil. Do between two to three layers. Season with salt and pepper and optional: chilli flakes. Bake in oven for 10 – 25 minutes until the pumpkin slices can be pierced with a fork. Then top with cheese and bake for a few minutes until the cheese has melted. Then slice and serve immediately.


  1. This looks very interesting. I'll have to try it.

  2. yummy and delicious pizza...

  3. That looks great. I've gotta try it.

  4. I'm a pizza monster! Never thought of it with pumpkin.

    You sound like you're in good spirits, that's great news.

  5. i'm no fan of polenta texture, and i really don't know what to make of the grains left in package, so i'm pleased to read about new recipes. and as freezer is full of pumpkin from last year this makes total sense!

  6. So much yellow! This looks great!

  7. mmm this looks so good. I can imagine the pumpkin and polenta are the perfect match.


  8. what a colourful looking dish.

  9. sounds delicious - love pumpkin and polenta - but I think the cheese is missing from the recipe - not that I need to be told how much but was curious about how much you used

  10. OH WOW! thank you so much for creating this with me in mind, that is just so lovely of you. I'm really touched. I am going to make this tonight, and I will let you know just how much I enjoy it, as I'm sure I will! Thanks again :)
    Charley x

  11. Thank you Betty Ray.

    Thanks Soumya.

    Thank you veggiegobbler. Do hope you enjoy.

    Chilean Woman.
    Its a waiting game, what else can I do but keep my spirits up. thanks for your kind words.
    Do try pumpkin slices on pizza, you may just like it.

    Pia K.
    It took me a while to appreciate polenta. I can't say I love it, but I don't mind the change now and again.

    Thank you Vic.

    Thanks Rose.
    Its good but it does need something else, otherwise it is just too soft, a side salad would be good.

    Thank you madebymum.

    Thank you Johanna.
    And thank you so much for pointing out the missing cheese on the recipe, corrected now. Though I just can't remember the weight of it right now, but when I see the log I used, i will up-date it.

  12. looks gorgeous. I'm always looking for something new to do with squash of any kind.

  13. WOW! This looks so vibrant and Healthy. Thank you for visiting me. You have a grat blog!
    Love your nom de plume.

  14. You are so, so welcome Charley.

    I hope you like. I do hope all the ingredients are accessible to you. It occured to me afterwards that quick cook polenta is not easy to come by. I had my nephew bring me up some from Wales the last time he came up to Scotland.

    I've sent you an e mail with links to other pumpkin recipes on my blog. Hope you have received it.


  15. Thank you so much Jen S. Glad you like.

    Thank you Rita.

  16. sunshine on a plate especially welcomed now it's getting nippier outside. Polenta pizza is on my long long list of recipes to try!

  17. mm it all looks so delicious! Thanks for your comment :)

  18. This is very unique. Will give it a try.

  19. this looks wonderful! i need to get on the polenta train, i'm most certainly missing out :)

  20. This is a good "pizza' base for those who can't tolerate wheat :-), and yes, it is very vibrant!

  21. You are So Creative---this recipe looks delicious and would be perfect for my friend who has just uncovered her sensitivities to gluten.

  22. oh my goodness this looks delicious. now only if they had taught us the metric system of measurement in the American schools! haha

  23. Thanks Nic.
    It certainly is getting nippy.

    Thank you Polly :)

    Thanks for your comment Kalyani.

    You have to get on the polenta train - Shannon Enjoy the ride when you do :)

    Thank you so much Alessandra.
    Your approval is welcomed.

    Thank you so much Nancy.
    I do try now and again. There are days when I just want to come in and have 'easy food' and days when I am happy to linger longer in the kitchen (usually the weekend).
    PLease let me know if you or your friend make it and how it was.

    Thank you senoritagordita :)

  24. this sounds so interesting i've never tried this before and i would love to. i know my family would really appreciate this. thank you for sharing this. have a nice weekend.

  25. Thank you blackbookkitchendiaries.

  26. Wow, what an interesting and different pizza!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You