Tuesday, 12 October 2010

Broccoli meets Buckwheat

This bowl of cooked grains does look a little beige, bland and boring. I’d like to say don’t judge it by the way it looks as it tastes much better than it looks, but I cannot - I can't get that excited about it and can only say for me it was just okay.

The texture of the buckwheat for me was a cross between barley and brown rice. The flavour could be described as a nutty. I think this dish woudl be good to eat as a cold salad. Well it was, as I actually got to take the leftovers in to work as a healthy salad. This does not mean I won’t try buckwheat again. Of course I will, it just means I’ll have to try some other buckwheat recipes. I’m sure I’ll eventually find one I rather like and then you won’t stop hearing me raving about it.

The author Mollie Katzen calls this dish as ‘Broccoli and Buckwheat Godunov’. I was not familiar with it and assumed Godunov was a classic Russian dish. It was only upon researching I noted there was no such dish of this name. I think for some reason Mollie may have just named it in honour of the Russian Czar Boris Godunav, but I don’t know for certain, maybe someone can shed more light.
The recipe advises topping the dish with hard boiled egg, but for some reason D does not like this idea of grated hard boiled eggs, so this was omitted.
Broccoli and Buckwheat
Serves 4
Ingredients
325ml water
200g buckwheat
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, finely sliced
½ teaspoon salt
200g button or chestnut mushrooms, sliced
250g broccoli, florets cut into half
1 tablespoon dried chervil
Lemon juice to taste
Method
Place the water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil Add in the buckwheat, lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 8 – 10 minutes, then remove from the heat and let it stand for a few minutes.
Heat the oil in a large pan, add onion and salt and sauté over medium heat until the onion begins to soften. Add the broccoli and cook for 5 minutes, then stir in the mushrooms and chervil. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes or until the broccoli is tender. Stir in the fluffed up buckwheat, along with the lemon juice. Stir until well combined. Season with freshly ground pepper and salt to taste. Adapted from The New Enchanted Broccoli Forest.

12 comments:

  1. MMMMMMMMMMMMM,..what a lovely dish!!

    Looks mighty pretty & lovely too! I love buckwheat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some buckwheat groats that I keep meaning to try in some recipes but it is taking me a while as I keep forgetting about them

    as for godunov - I though it was a pun on Good Enough - but that is obviously an uninformed response :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sophie.


    Johanna,
    We've been trying to incorporate different grains in our diet recently, just to ring the changes more than anything else. D did not mind the buckwheat as much as me.

    I think your probably right re play on good enough for godunov. Thank you for sharing, as this did not leap out at me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks really yummy and delicious! thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It may look a little beige but I think the broccoli and mushrooms give it some life. Try it again as a breakfast dish, adding fruit and honey, maybe you'll like it a bit better?

    And thanks for the comment on my ACL post. Although everything worked out ok, I'm still upset it happened in the first place and just reading your comment lifted my spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your presentation. So pretty.
    I haven't tried buckwheat but is something I am definitely interesting in eating. This would make a great little dinner for me. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you blackbookkitchendiaries.


    The broc and mushrooms did help a little. I like your suggestion and may give it a go one of these days.
    Pleased to learn my comment helped a little. Warm wishes.


    Thank you Jacklyn,
    I think its an acquired taste, or one of those grains that you get used to after having tried it a few times. I'll be trying buckwheat again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, I love buckwheat! I've not tried it with broccoli before - always good to have new ideas!

    This recipe looks like a variation on the classic Russian kasha. Kasha means grain porridge (usually buckwheat, but can also be barley or millet), and can be sweet or savoury. I tend to add the buckwheat to the pan when frying the onions to brown up a little before adding the stock, which gives it a nutty, toasted flavour. Yum!

    Have just harvested my forst pumpkin of the year, so will finally get to try your autumnal squash scones recipe!

    much love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much littleblackfox.
    You are a fountain of knowledge.
    I think I'll learn to appreicate buckwheat in time.

    Do hope you enjoy the squash scones. Would you believe I still have some of those apple squashes from last year. Looking pretty in a large flower vase.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your honesty :o)
    Beige, bland and boring is how I'd described lots of my non-wheat experiments in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like this, but like D, would omit the egg as well. It's so good to experiment with different grains--add some diversity to healthy eating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Nic.
    Whats the point in recommending something your not so keen on to others.


    Thank you Nancy.
    I am enjoying experimenting and eating dif. gains, even though I am not that keen on some of them.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You