Wednesday, 20 October 2010

Simple Apple and sultana cake

When I made this apple cake, D said something that struck a chord with me.
He said ‘If I saw this apple cake on the menu at a café or restaurant, I would never choose it, simply because it sounds plain and boring. But I have to admit this is one of the best apple cakes I’ve eaten in a long time’.

He's right, even I turn my nose at a cake option that includes apples or fruit, going for the obvious chocolate flavoured ones. This needs to change.
The apple and sultana cake was moist from the grated apples. It really was lovely.
Simple Apple and sultana cake
Makes 1 x 7 inch cake
225g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
115g butter
115g caster sugar
225 dessert apples, peeled and grated
85g sultanas
1 medium egg
100ml milk
2 tablespoons Demerara sugar
Heat oven to gas mark 4. Grease a deep 7 inch cake tin. Sift the flour with the baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Cut the butter into small cubes and rub into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the sugar, apples and sultanas and mix thoroughly. Mix together the egg and milk and add to the mixture. Turn into the prepared tin. Sprinkle over the Demerara sugar. Bake in the centre of the oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until a skewer comes out of the cake clean. Allow to cool in the tin for 30 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
Updated 31/10/2010: Millie D of MillieBead made a version of this cake. Please click here. I think the crunchy topping looks fantastic.


  1. This looks just my cup of tea (pardon the pun) I have loads of stored apples from the garden and this is definitely on the menu for the weekend. Thanks for sharing your recipe.


  2. What is a sultana??? This looks great. Anything with apples and cake, I'm there. Hey, sorry I've been MIA lately too. I am still getting back in the swing of things.

  3. That is SO true! Kind of the cake version of 'don't judge a book by its cover', don't you think? This cake looks truly scrumptious, interesting method too...

  4. Aww I personally love breads like these. They're great for breakfast with a cup of coffee or hot tea. I've noticed that everyone has been posting a lot of pumpkin recipes lately, its nice to see a change.

  5. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM,..What else can I say?? Looks superb!!

  6. This looks really good, I'm going to try it out this weekend,

  7. i love your recipe!
    have a sweet day,

  8. I'm a rubbish cook and i'm always making mistakes in recipes. I'd like to make this cake but I am wondering whether that's 225g of apples before or after they've been peeled and cored? Sounds really good and we have millions of apples at the moment.

  9. MMm that does look a lovely sweet, slightly squidgy cake. I would definitely choose this over a chocolate cake in a cafe. I never take chocolate cake anymore as I find that they are all a bit similar. You're right, though, it wouldn't sell as well to most people. But just think, if you were the owner of the cafe, you could sell all the boring chocolate cake and take the leftovers of this one home!

  10. ooh yes, lovely. I love apple and sultana cake and I can sometimes be tempted away from the chocolate option. Yours looks very good and I love a crunchy demerara topping on a cake.

  11. Thank you Mary.
    So lovely to make your acquaintance.
    Do hope you enjoy this cake with a cup of tea of course.

    Hey Carissa.
    So good to hear from you. Its okay to to be away from blog land now and again. Look forward to reading about what you've been up too.

    Sultanas are dried white-green grapes but from seedless varieties. They are golden in color and tend to be plumper, sweeter and juicier than other raisins. I think they are referred to as Golden Raisins in the US.

    Thank you so, so much KitchenMaid.
    You are so right to write 'don't judge a book by its cover'.

    Thanks Jacklyn.
    I too like them for breakfast, but I won't say that out too loud. Should eat more fruit in the morning, maybe I can get away with this as it does inc. apples :)

    Your right that many fellow bloggers have been posting a lot of pumpkin recipes lately, but I am guilt of it too. Check out some of my previous posts.

    Thank you Sophie!

  12. Hi Millie D.
    So lovely to hear from you.
    If you do make it, let me know how you found it. Also make sure the centre is cooked well - test with a skewer/cake tester if you must.

    Hello there dear Justyna.
    So delighted you like this recipe!

    Louise - I don't believe that you are a rubbish cook. Just takes a bit of patience. I was never keen on being in the kitchen (ask my mother), it was only when I went to Uni as mature student that I rediscovered the kitchen door and since then I've got better and better, but in no way a expert.

    Your question is fair. Its 225g of apples after they've been peeled and cored. Sorry for not being clear. I have a bad habit of assuming. You should have a go at making a chutney recipe. I made this one a coupel of weeks ago (still to post on my blog). I think you will like it. Go on I encourage you to have a go.

    The only thing I changed - replaced the mixed spice with allspice, as that is what I had in the kitchen cupboard.

  13. Thanks Please Do Not Feed The Animals.
    I can vouch that it was a lovely sweet and slightly squidgy cake.

    Your right that a majority of chocolate cakes taste kinda similar, but unfortuantely an apple cake wouldn't sell well, unless given a make-over of some kind.

    Thank you Kath.
    I nearly forgot to put the crunchy demerara topping on the cake, it was nice.

    Thank you ColorSlut!

  14. One for my to-do list next week. Looks great. Thanks MC

  15. I made this cake and it was a huge success thanks for the recipe. I put the picture of the cake I made on my blog!

  16. Millie D.
    Thank you so much for letting me know. It looks fab. I especially like the look of your topping, looks far more crunchier than mine.

    I've updated this post and put a link to your blog. I hope that is fine with you.

  17. great recipie.
    i have baked this cake a few times and love it.
    i have experimented with extra sultanas and some cinnamon.

  18. Thank you so much for letting me know Anon (would have been lovely to have been given a name - I don't liek referring to my readers as anon, but sadly have no choice).
    I'm looking forward to making it again in the very near future.
    Kind wishes.

  19. I have a rather large number of apples being stored this year. I think this recipe is going to come in very useful over the next few months. Thanks for sharing :)

  20. Garden teacakes and me. I do hope you enjoy this recipe if you get round to making it, Its one of my most popular blog hits.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You