Sunday, 31 October 2010

Lemony Parsnip and leek soup

I think I've mentioned before that I really like Jane Grigsons Classic 'curried parsnip soup'. It is always the first parsnip recipe to cross my mind, especially when parsnips are in season. But as much as I enjoy making and eating this soup, I wanted something a bit little more smooth and soothing.

For those of you who have been reading my blog for a while, will know that I like to expand my culinary repertoire. Last year I made Parsnip and wild rice mulligatawny soup; and today it is this Lemony Parsnip and leek soup. This soup is both citric and sweet designed to be enjoyed on those damp evenings when your taste buds need waking up.
As I sipped the soup from my spoon, I could detect the hint of lemon in the background. Maybe it was just my imagination, but the subtle citrus kick just felt like it was doing me good, just like good medicine to keep the sneezy cold at bay.
Lemony Parsnip and Leek soup
Serves 4 - 5
Ingredients
2 tablespoons of olive oil
500g parsnips, peeled and sliced
2 medium to large leeks, sliced
1 3/4pints vegetable stock
grated rind and juice of 1/2 lemon
1 bay leaf
Salt to taste
Method
In a wide pan, gently heat the oil. Add the parsnips and leeks and cook covered for 5 minutes. Add the vegetable stock, grated lemon rind and bay leaf. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Cool a little, remove the bay leaf and add the lemon juice. Puree thoroughly in a liquidiser until smooth. Taste for seasoning and reheat, but do not boil. Adapted from New Covent Garden Soup Co. Soup and Beyond.

21 comments:

  1. Thank you Ali.
    I especially loved the lemony undertones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love any kind of soup!
    Lovely
    Barbaraxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lemon, leeks and parsnip...a trio made in heaven I think. Is it just me, or can you taste cinnamon in parsnip?

    Comfort food...just when you need it.

    I particularly love this bowl with the spoon rest and the handle..great for presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like an excellent combo: I love parsnips! This sounds perfect for a chilly autumn day, and a bit of citrus to brighten it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Parsnips are great! Do you have Halloween over there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Parsnip is one of those vegetables I seldom use, maybe it is not in my DNA, and I don;t know what to do with it. But the idea of lemon is good, probably it is what it needs to make it palatable to me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gardeningbren.
    I think your right, there is certainly sweetness and maybe a subtle undertone of cinnamon in parsnip. I had just never thought of it.

    The soup bowl with the spoon rest was a present from my oldest and most thoughtful nephew last year. He bought it for me to take into work, I think its too good for work, so I thought I better start using it at home.


    Thank you Rose.
    For me the citrus is really welcome, as Iwanted to cut across the sharpness of the parsnips.


    Hi Vic,
    Halloween has become big in the U.K, especially in the last 5 years. Unfortuantey this year I was not able to plan or partake in the celebrations as I had to be with family last week.

    Every year, inc. this one I did have some candy/sweets for the litle ones if they came round knowing for 'trick or treat', but this has not happened once yet. Still a long way to go to in relation to the USA.


    Alessandra.
    I remember you mentioning before your lack of use of parsnips and a veg you don't see often in Italy. It is something I never grew up eating either. When I did discover it (during my Uni years) the sweetness was just too overwhelming for my palette. The lemon is good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This does sound good - I'm tempted to try it tonight. 1 thing though - how much leek? I think it sneaked off the ingreients list...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for pointing that out Ruth.
    Its was two medium to large leeks inc. both the green and white parts sliced.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Parsnip soup has to be one of the best winter soups ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much Taz.
    Parsnips are appreciated more winter time.

    So lovely to hear from you. I have always wanted to say Thank you to you for becoming a follower. It is most appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh yum, this has my name on it for this week. Also - leeks are on this week's Aldi super 6 - 2 big 'uns for a measly 59p.
    Thank you Mangocheeks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Ruth,
    I may have to pay a visit to Adli later this week.
    Hope you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, I love parsnips and this sounds fantastic! I'll definitely have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks hon, it's a pleasure to be your follower. You make such wonderful things and I'm always on the look out for new ideas since my eldest became a vegetarian. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Taz - ooh I'm blushing. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Made this for lunch today - totally scrummy, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for letting me know Angelcat.
    I am always pleased and humbled when fellow readers make a recipe and post, moreso when they enjoy it. Thank you. I will be over to have a nosy of your blog space soon. Kind wishes.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You