Sunday, 3 October 2010

Fiery Scotch Bonnet Apple chutney

What happens when the red hot Caribbean Scotch bonnet kisses the sun-blushed British apple? – You get fiery Scotch Bonnet Apple chutney. Well that is what I am hoping. I created this recipe last weekend, as I wanted a change from the sweet preserves I've been making lately, such as the spiced apple butter and apple and blackberry jam. I was also encouraged by fellow blogger Little Black Fox who has recently been going chutney crazy in her kitchen. I also absolutely adore her home created jam jar labels, both inspiring and humorous.
To be quite honest, I am quite nervous about this Scotch Bonnet Apple chutney. I have a tendency to follow preserves, jam and chutney recipes word for word, it unlike me to deviate from them. But last week I challenged myself to step out of this comfort zone. So if I am honest, I am not totally confident about this. I am hoping it works out, or at least is edible. For now I have to wait while it matures. I am hoping to serve it with some vegetable or bean burgers.

Oh I've got got a confession to make, the Scotch Bonnets used in this recipe did not come from the Caribbean at all, they were not even grown in a greenhouse in the U.K. Yes, these Scotch bonnets actually came from Holland.

Scotch Bonnet Apple chutney
You will need a slow cooker for this recipe

Makes 4 x 245ml jars
¼ pint vegetable oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped
1 large onion, finely sliced
2 tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger
1 head of garlic peeled and finely chopped
2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1 tablespoons whole cumin
225ml malt vinegar (should have been cider vinegar)
1kg cooking apples peeled and chopped small
5 Scotch bonnets, pierced
115g granulated sugar
1 tablespoon salt
Heat oil in pan and gently fry the onion and garlic until it starts to color then add remaining spices and cook for another three minutes. Transfer to a slow cooker. Add vinegar, apples, Scotch Bonnet, sugar and salt. Cook on high for the 1 hour, then turn down and cook for 5 - 7 hours. Note: Oh I forgot to add, during halfway when the chillies have sdoften, take them out, cut open and scoop out the seeds and discard. Mince the chilli skins and return to the pan. I guess you can leave them whole with the seeds, but I rather tread slowly with the heat first. When done. Put into hot sterilized jars and seal at once with lids


  1. I love scotch bonnets- that sounds fantastic! I must get round to making some more chutney x

  2. Eee, glad to hear that you've been inspired to try some experimental chutney making, the recipe looks fabulous & I'm sure will taste delicious!

    So do the Scotch bonnet peppers break down during cooking, or do they remain whole? I've never used whole chiles in a chutney (though I use whole pierced chiles when making things like dhal)

  3. Wow! What an exciting chutney!! It sounds positively wonderful!

  4. How bold and inventive and exciting! Please let us know what you think in the long run. Can't wait to hear how it turns out and possibly attempt it myself.

  5. Nervous feelings aside, I think you did a great job!

  6. I will have to try this - I love the ingredients, spice, and my new slow cooker. And oh yeah - have about 50 pounds of apples freshly picked!

  7. We like our food spicy, though I wonder if this might be just a little too extreme. I'd be really interested to know how this recipe turns out when it has matured - perhaps you could update us all, please.
    'Meanderings through my Cookbook'

  8. mother of purl.
    'Tis certainly the season to be in the kitchen makes preserves, jams and chutney. If you have an abundance of fruit or veg, I'd say go on - make something. x

    Certainly have been littleblackfox.
    Just have to taste test the result of this, before recommending it to others to make.

    Re your question: i've updated the recipe and what I did to the peppers. Thanks for asking and prompting me.

    Thank you Astra Libris!

    Thank you Miss Meat and Potatoes.
    Bold and inventive true, but exciting and edible is still a question mark?! I promis eto let you know of the outcome in a few months time.

    Thank you for the vote of confidence roxan :D

    Thank you Wendy.
    I'm so pleased you love all the ingredients and are wanting to use your apples and slow cooker. Normally I'd encourage you to go and cook a recipe i've made, but I am a tad cautious about this one. So please think carefully do you really want to make it before the verdict ? :0)

    Thanks hopeeternalcookbook.
    Totally understand your reservations. Rest assured will keep you informed of the outcome.

  9. Crikey - fiery indeed. One for me as I like it hot. Look forward to hearing how it turns out.

  10. Thanks Choclette.
    I shall indeed keep you informed of the outcome.

  11. well it certainly looks like chutney which is always a good start!
    I have some very dubious looking jars of 'apple mess' on my shelf. Could bear to waste the left over apple pulp when making cordials last year so turned it into a poor mans version of a chutney. Not too confident of how it'll be and reckon it may well end up feeding the compost! Hey ho, win some lose some. I'm sure yours is a winner.

  12. Thanks Nic.
    I hope your right, i hope its a winner and does not knock my block off too much :D

  13. Came across ur blog by chance.. I see that u have very rare recipes..Pics are too colourful to resist!As well ,glad to know that u luv gardening!!

  14. Thank you so much Mini Binoy.
    Some of the dishes certainly are a little unusual and experimental. And I do enjoy growing my own veg :D

  15. Superb..bookmarking it..Thanks for the entry!

  16. Hi Anon,
    Would be lovely to call you by a name.

    I was wary of the outcome, but have to say it was a splendid surprise. It was more like a Fiery Mustard than a Chutney. I've proudly given jars to friends and will sure be making it again. Its been great with cheddar cheese and crackers.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You