Wednesday, 9 December 2015

Very Easy Chestnut Bangers - Sausages

Sausages - vegan, vegetarian or meat-based are not the easiest to photograph, unless of course you drown them in thick muddy gravy, but I couldn't be bothered to do that - so here are my Chestnut Bangers - exposed and naked!

What's good about them though, my timing in making them - perfect for the Festive Season and for your vegetarian and/or vegan guests and even those who have a gluten intolerance.  
I was inspired to make these Chestnut Bangers whilst flicking through Denis Cotters For the Love of Food and I was reminded of Lucy's vegetarian breakfast sausages made with vacuum packed pre-cooked chestnuts,  tofu and cheddar cheese.  I also have a vegan recipe by Rose Elliot from her Vegetarian Christmas Cookbook.  Both recipes are straight-forward to make, I know this as I have made them both in the past, but I had an idea how to make a much more easier recipe relying on a couple of ingredients knocking around in my kitchen cupboard. 
I was determined to cook with my tin of Merchant Gourmet Chestnut Puree that's been sitting in my kitchen cupboard for a couple of years (and yes, its still in date) and Suma Savoury Nut Roast.  Suma launched their own brand of Savoury Nut Roast last year.  I am already a fan, however this time round I wanted to do something different with it - make Chestnut Bangers. Half were frozen and half were shallow fried in a little oil over three days for brunch and evening meals.  

For those of you who read my blog regular, will know that I mostly cook from scratch and rarely do this kind of cooking, but I was pleased with the result. D was non- fussed about the Chestnut Bangers, but that is because he is not big on Nut Roasts.  Pssst I better stay quite about his Christmas Eve dinner - I am cooking.  He is doing Christmas Roast Dinner. 

I am sharing these Chestnut Nut Roast Bangers with Alphabakes hosted by Caroline Makes and The More Than The Occasional Baker.  The letter is N and these Chestnut Bangers are made with Savoury Nut Roast in the mix.
Chestnut Bangers
Makes 12
400g - 415g Merchant Gourmet Chestnut Puree
340g Suma Savoury Nut Roast
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
Black Pepper to taste
In a large bowl, mash the chestnut puree, then stir in the Suma Nut Roast, thyme and a good grinding of black pepper and combine well.  
Allow the mixture to sit for 20 - 30 minutes, then shape them into 12 even size sausages.    
When ready to eat, heat a little oil in frying pan and shallow fry. Serve immediately.
Can be frozen and no need to defrost when cooking.
As a member of the Suma Bloggers Network, I will receive a selection of complimentary products every two months, to use in recipe development and will blog original recipes for the Network.  


  1. I see you have served your Chestnut bangers with Flower Sprouts. What did you think of them?

    1. I've a big bag full and have been eating them over the week, actually prefer them to Brussels sprouts as not as cabbagey in flavour and a lot more lighter, if that makes sense.

  2. I like the idea of making the nut roast into sausages! Hope you had a good Christmas - thanks for sharing with Alphabakes.

    1. Thank you Caroline. We had a good Christmas, it was a quiet one. Hope you had a good one too.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You