Friday, 18 December 2015

Festive Five

Ah its the last Five on Friday for 2015 and I am glad that I have found time to participate as the last few times  I had failed to join in due to work - life distractions. 
We decorated our Christmas tree the first weekend of December.  The tree is adorned mostly with  foodie related ornaments (gingerbread man, beaded chilli, strawberry, grapes, measuring spoons etc.) those gifted to me many years ago and some wacky ones that make D smile.  If you wish you can see the tree from a different angle here,  Every year we try and find something new for the tree, but nothing has caught our eyes this year, but I am thankful as I have been given two new ornaments to hang from me tree this year.  The Angel swinging from the top from Mexico from my nephew and a wooden angel from Bangladesh (not shown) from a work colleague. 



We seem to have loads of wrapping paper left over from last year, so we haven't purchased much this year, except this one.  I picked it up from a new Independent shop  in town that stocks Welsh design led accessories, gifts and home ware all sourced from within a 25 mile radius.  They had some gorgeous Welsh language Christmas cards, but I only came out with this wrapping paper. 

As always, I am thumbing my way through cookbooks, whether they are mine or from the library.  This week its been my copy of Vegetarian Christmas from the British Queen of Vegetarian Cuisine - Rose Elliot.  There are not that many Vegetarian Christmas cookbooks about, so I do treasure this as it is a great source of inspiration. 
So far I've only made these Parsley Potato Christmas Trees, Rose Elliot's Potato Cakes were shaped as Stars.  What this has done though, is its made me bring out my cookie cutters.  I hope to make some Gingerbread cookies, but I am not holding my breath.  I think time will get the better of me this time.  If you are looking for some vegetarian and vegan Christmas inspiration, please take a look at this link.  Talking of food... 
We have just finished off this Vegetarian Raised Pie,  I am hoping to make another come next week, if not a pie then maybe a Traditional Nut Roast.  

On a final note, I am going to be a little soppy.  Its two years since I lost my cat Moggy and I remember.  A good friend shared some words with me recently - Dogs and cats come into our lives and leave paw prints on our hearts and we are forever changed.  Its so true.  

Thank you so much for your time and coming by, I do appreciate it.  I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.  I am sharing this with Five on Fridays hosted by Amy at Love Made My Home.  

22 comments:

  1. It is the season to remember loved ones, so remembering a treasured pet is quite normal. I love the look of the parsley potato trees, my Grandchildren would love them. Have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pie looks delicious and I like the sound of a beaded chilli, not sure what it is though. Happy Christmas. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crimson Kettle follow the link on the words and you will see what it is - Happy Christmas to you too.

      Delete
  3. You are right, pets leave footprints all over our hearts! I cannot think of better footprints to be left with! It looks as though you are all set for a good Christmas, food and decorations wise which is lovely. Thank you for joining Five On Friday and making it a great thing this year. I so appreciate it! Happy Christmas! See you again in 2016! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Amy. Yes, we are pretty set for Christmas - its just the two of us - we travelled to my mother in law Friday night and came back a couple of hours ago, we just have to pick up the vegetables! Wishing you a Merry Christmas too and see you in 2016 x

      Delete
  4. Hi - Love your tree it looks so unusual. Hubby is a vegetarian so I might look at a few recipes. Joan at www.aviewtothefells.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joan. Thats what I love about our tree.
      Hope you find some veggie inspiration here.

      Delete
  5. Merry Christmas Shaheen, I hope it's a good one for you xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie - I will come by later x

      Delete
  6. I love that wrapping paper! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pom Pom, i love the diversity of the wrapping paper, quite unusual to find in the UK

      Delete
  7. I love your Christmas tree ornaments, very nicely decorated tree! And those potato trees look pretty good as well, yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks VegHog. My husband decorated the tree, I like it when he does it now, its a surprise for me.

      Delete
  8. The parsley potato trees are amazing! What fun! And I love wrapping with the children on it. Great design. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty cool, stars would be amazing too. Yes, I love the wrapping paper too, mostly for the ethnic diversity - its unusual to find in the UK.

      Delete
  9. I love your wrapping paper, it is so pretty. I will be cooking a vegetarian Christmas too but it will not be as creative as your parsley potato trees, such fun! Have a lovely Christmas xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa. I love the wrapping paper too. Oh go on be a bit creative, its Christmas after all. Wishing you the best.

      Delete
  10. looks lovely and festive - that little jumper on the tree is so cute - and I love that Rose Elliot book - I have a copy and have made the mushroom pie and the potato stars - such great recipes in it. Your potato christmas tree looks v sweet (in a savoury way)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna. Yes that one was sent to me by a fellow blogger many years ago.

      Delete
  11. I love food related decorations. I have a knitted banana and a carrot in Santa hats. Some lovely ideas for Christmas food here, I especially like the mashed potato trees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A knitted banana - so groovy and the carrots in Santa hats sound so adorable.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You