Wednesday, 2 December 2015

November: White Vegetables Round Up

Welcome to October's round up of The Vegetable Palette and Fruit Palettenatures colours - natures goodness''. 
The theme for November was White Vegetables  and we had three fantastic contributions.  (Please scroll to the bottom of the page for the new theme if you would like to take part this month).

I begin with a stunning salad that will fool you at first glance.  Is it fried eggs in a salad - No, not at all, this is a Turnip and Lentil Salad.  It comes from The Veg Hog.  The whites come from the paper thin sliced Turnips topped off here and there with thinly sliced carrots.  The dressing sounds awesome too, it has a little black treacle to entrance you. 
Next we have some amazing balls of risotto aka vegan Arancini which come courtesy of Chardonnay and Samphire.  They Mushroom Risotto balls may look brown because they are baked in the oven. These would be perfect as a starter or canapes at a festive party. 
I shared a vivid Cauliflower, Beetroot and Feta Salad that made a few eyebrows raise in blogosphere, all I can say is - Don't knock it until you tried it!
Choclette from Tin and Thyme brings to the table a hearty and belly warming Slow Cooker Vegetable Stew with Mushroom Dumplings.  The whites hidden beneath the red wine-tomato sauce are made with  white runner beans and of course the humble potato, but she forgot to mention the mushrooms in the dumplings!
And finally, Janet from The Taste Space teases us with this Coconut Sweet Potato Pie - this pie is made with white fleshed sweet potato and coconut milk!  I would so love a slice of this right now, its been a long day. and this would make the evening a happier one.  The recipe comes from a new cookbook called  True to Your Roots: Vegan Recipes to Comfort and Nourish You by Carla Kelly.  I want my own copy please!

If you would like to participate in the Vegetable Palette, then please follow THIS LINK on how to participate.  The theme for December is Green Vegetables, but with particular emphasis on the fairy cabbage - Brussels Sprouts - Hey it is the Festive season.


  1. Lots of lovely white options.. and yes, I think you would love True To Your Roots - it is right up your alley.

    Looking forward to showcasing Brussels. Hopefully I can get a recipe up this month with them. I love how you called them fairy cabbages. ;)

    1. Thank you Janet. I hope I see it in the bookshops here, I like flicking through books first, but it not - then maybe I will get it as a treat to myself.

      Look forward to your sprouty contributions. Thank you so much for your support


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You