Saturday, 12 December 2015

Black Sesame Seed Aubergine Nibbles

I am certainly making the most of my jar of black sesame seeds.  First it was Black Sesame Seed Butter, then Black Sesame Seed Flapjacks and now its sprinkled over these Aubergine Nibbles.  
These Aubergine Nibbles are not far removed from the Japanese Nasu Denkagu loosely translated as Miso Glazed Aubergines, Here though the aubergines are chopped and roasted in the oven with sesame seeds, once golden. Served with a dip, this of course can be made from miso, but i have to be honest I used one from a squeezy bottle. 
These Japanese sushi plates have made an appearance on the blog before.  They are rather special to me.  I got them in the US of A from a independent Oriental shop in Berkeley when visiting my beautiful friend in 2000.   It was my first time in America too.  I carefully packed them and they arrived back with me in the UK in tact.  I treasure them and whenever I use them, all those precious moments we shared as friends at University and on holiday come flooding back and get me emotional.  She is one person in my life that has had a profound impact impact on me and in such a positive way.  When I get low and pessimistic about the world.  I think of her. I miss her being close. 

These nibbles made a nice change for the evening from popcorn, cheesy crackers or tortilla chips with dips.  They were not sluggish in any way, but firm and golden, charred a little here and there. This is hardly a recipe at all, but here goes. 
Black Sesame Seed Aubergine Nibbles
Ingredients and Method 2 large aubergines, sliced in half lenghthways then half again.  Chop into bite size chunks. Or into half moon shapes if you wish. 
Transfer to a bowl and season generously with freshly ground salt and pepper, 
Scatter over 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds and 1 teaspoon of natural sesame seeds.  
Douse with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, shake to combine and coat.  
Then transfer to a baking tray.  
Spread out and bake in a preheated oven gas mark 5/200oc  for 25 minutes, or until golden around the edges.  
Serve immediately with a mild flavoured dip (avoid spicy this time).


  1. I love roasted aubergine. Especially love the addition of the sesame!

    1. Me too Kate, I have actually come to appreciate it more than I did in my youth.

  2. Hii,,
    I am always waiting for these kind of postings,,
    Natural sesame seeds

    1. Thank you Martin, you should then check out my Black Sesame Tahini Butter recipe too.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You