Sunday, 29 June 2014

Eat Your Greens Round Up #1

Welcome to Eat Your Greens Round Up  #1.    This is a new monthly vegetarian cooking challenge for food bloggers.  Last month I set the challenge to   'Eat Your Greens'  and so many of you humbled me with your green submissions, all 14 of them. I have to admit I was a little nervous as to whether anyone would enter and have to say that I am delighted that so many of you you did. Thank you, Thank you so much. 
The idea behind 'Eat Your Greens' is really simple, to make something with a green vegetable each month.  You can use any kind of green vegetable that you like and make anything that you wish from a soup, salad dish, a smoothie, a stew, a curry, a pasta dish, cookies or even a cake  - absolutely anything, so long as the recipe is vegetarian, vegan recipes are also welcome.

So here goes... 
The first ever entry for Eat Your Greens comes from Emily Walsh from Cooking for Kishore.  Its a beautiful green, red and gold salad of spinach, strawberries and figs, as well as the honey mustard dressing, the savoury comes from the vegan feta cheese.  Emily made this salad with home grown spinach. The red is just striking.
Deena Kakaya shared her Miso Tamarind Roasted Potato Wedges with locally sourced garden greens that included asparagus, petit pois and okahijiki leaves,  Don' t you just love the combo, feel both virtuous and naughty at the same time.  
Janet of the Taste Space share Laotion Larb Tofu Lettuce.  I love how the lettuce serves as an edible green plate!
A fantastic speedy supper of Pasta with Spinach and Almonds from Gayathri of Spices Galore. T he green comes from the spinach, I also love the hint of red chilli dotted here and there and the creamy pine nuts.
I know some of you are avoiding soup with the weather being lovely and warm, but we have a Spicy 'Kermit' raw green cavolo nero soup by Sarah at Maison Cupcake. Sarah admits that a raw soup may not be to everyones taste, but I think we should all try anything once!
Avocado, Kale and Matcha Smoothie by Veganopolous.  Its a raw vegan  breakfast drink to wake you up and get your ready for whatever the day brings.   Her entry made me smile, she wrote 'I'd be wondering when I would start using the small tin of matcha I was given.  I've been hesitate to use it because...a small container is very expensive.  So I prefer to sit and look at it' .  I can relate to that feeling because I do exactly the same; and her post reminds me, I actually do have a small tin of matcha
Next up  a  Green Pesto from Culinary Adventures with Camilla, but this is no ordinary green pesto it is made wild arugula leaves know to those of us living in the U.k as rocket, as well as  parsley, almonds and wait for it black garlic! I am intrigued by the black garlic as I have not tried it yet. 
Johanna of Green Gourmet Giraffe sent over a vegan savoury Eccles cakean indulgent puff pastry filled with vegan blue cheese, leeks, spinach and wild garlic salt.  I so need to try that next year. I know Johanna felt that she really should not have re-heated her Eccles cake under the grill, but I liked the golden crisp exterior, more texture, more bite.
Next we have an Easy Peasy Veggie Noodle Stir Fry from Louisa Foti from Eat Your Veg. This colourful noodle stir fry is packed with lots and I mean lots of green vegetables: beans, broccoli and courgette. Go over and check out her little tiger tucking in!
Now we have a change in the way of comfort eating, starting of with Linsey Patel from Home Cook Food.  Linsey shared her Soya Channa and Palak Curry/ Soya Chickpeas and Spinach Curry.  The green comes from the spinach that is lovingly clinging the soya and chickpeas - a vegetarians pulse of choice, I know its mine.
My husband would absolutely drool over this Asparagus and Lemon Risotto that comes from Corina at Searching for Spice .  Not only would he enjoy the crunch from the green spears of asparagus, but the zingy sharpness that comes from the lemon would also entice him.  
A posh cheese and toast from Caroline Makes.  So this Welsh valley girls wonders what is posh about it?  Leeks, of course.  I so approve of this very Welsh ingredient and goats cheese, I am even more satisfied - a step up from cheddar cheese.  Thank you Caroline.  
A step up from a snack is this hearty, oozy, bubbly and golden Cheesy Spinach Bake from the lovely Elizabeth at Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary.  Elizabeth shares lots of different ways that she uses up the spinach that has been appearing in her veg box lately; and this is one way. I just love how the spinach is smothered.
And finally,  a late entry missing the deadline, but how can I say no to a friend.  This Muttar Paneer aka Cheese 'n 'Peas comes from Ray from the Garlic Buddha.  Just look  at how green those garden peas look.  I also love the golden glow from the paneer, an Indian cheese that you will either like or not.  Fortunately for me, I like it.  Ray has served his Muttar Paneer with Marmite Sourdough bread.  I can't wait to see his blog post for the Marmite Sourdough! 

Once again, Thank you so much to every one who has participated and made the first Eat Your Greens blogging challenge a success.  Please do go on over and check out each entry one by one if you can.

Please feel free to share your recipes for July now.  Follow this link for the details.   Please also come back at the beginning of the month for another new food blogging challenge.  

13 comments:

  1. So much lovely green stuff! MMmmmm! Greens were never something served up at our childhood dinner table (unless it was a tin of green beans - which I loved!) so I'm still on this wonderful exploration and discovery adventure of all green veg. Loads of ideas here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth. I so agree and it show the diversity of greens too. I hope you will join in again.

      Delete
  2. Miso and tamarind - can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great round up shaheen - and lots of lovely ways to eat greens - am slowly working my way through some of the posts that I didn't see first time around

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna, It would not have been possible with all the lovely entries, inc. you. I hope you have been into'd to some new bloggers, I know I have been.

      Delete
  4. All very interesting recipes and some I will try!
    I'm intrigued by the 'Black Garlic', is this growable in the UK or is it regular garlic treated culinarily in some way?
    Please let us know!
    Thanks for an interesting post. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so pleased. I do hope you will participate in the nr future.
      I've seen black garlic many times, its become popular in the last 5 years and available at a number of supermarkets, but I've picked some up recently at a health shop - a bulb costs just under £1.50, but a jar of 50g £3.00. I am looking forward to using it and share some recipes. Here is the link that may interest you and answer some of your questions. http://www.blackgarlic.co.uk/

      Delete
  5. Congrats on a great roundup Shaheen! What variety! Definitely will be putting some of these recipes on the must-try list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily, esp. for being the first ever entry to EatYourGreens. Hope you will share another green recipe in the future. Please come back tomorrow for another new challenge, including Eat Your Greens of course :)

      Delete
  6. Well presented, Shaheen. Now, I have 'more reasons' to eat more veggies, instead of bread :)

    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely roundup. I'll do my best to check as many of them out as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some great looking recipes, I'm drooling as I read! :o)

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You