Thursday, 19 June 2014

Lemon Curd and Cream Cheese Bars

These bars may look small and , but one bite and you go wowzer! This is when a little bite makes a big impact.  The lemon curd zingyness contrasts beautifully with the soft creaminess of the cream cheese layer and the oats just give it some textual bite.


I've chosen to make this recipe with lemon curd as I had a jar that had to be used by its sell by date, but you can choose any kind of zingy curd, like clementine, strawberry, pineapple, grapefruit, mango, orange or even Banana Toffee aka banoffee curd! 
Saying all that, D picked up another jar of lemon curd at the weekend - a no so subtle hint to make them again, soon!  And guess what, he doesn't want me to share them with anyone else.  I am sharing some of these Lemon Curd and Cream Cheese Bars with Recipe of the Week hosted by Emily at A Mummy Too; and this is also my first entry to Bake of the Week hosted by Casa Costello .




Lemon Curd and Cream Cheese Bars
Makes about 8 - 10
You will require 1 x 7 x 9 inch tin lined with baking parchment paper
Ingredients
125g jumbo rolled oats
130g plain flour
100g golden caster sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
110g butter, chopped into small cubes
1 tub of cream cheese, about 260g
50g golden caster sugar
1 free range egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 jar of lemon curd, about 280g or thereabouts
Method
In a large bowl, stir together the oats, flour, sugar and salt. Then add in the cubed butter and work through the mixture until moist and crumbly. 
Weigh out 300g of the mixture and press into the lined tin.
In another bowl, whip together the cream cheese, egg and vanilla.  Pour over the  pressed base, then top evenly with the lemon curd, spread with a fork if necessary for it to be distributed evenly. Finally, sprinkle over the remaining oaty-floury mixture over the cream cheese and lemony topping.  
Bake in a preheated oven gas mark 4/180oc for about 30 minutes.  The lemon curd will be oozing and bubbling when it if first removed from the oven, don't worry about this.  Let is cool down,  then transfer to a fridge, preferably overnight for it to chill.  Remove from the tin and parchment paper and slice and enjoy.  There are so many variations of this recipe on blogosphere, but here is the one that inspired me. 

10 comments:

  1. So yummy!
    I needed to see this today.
    Now, where can I find a healthy snack in my office?
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is yummy, but not healthy - do hope you can find a healthy snack in your office, but admire these on screen, may add inches to your waistline, but I guess being a cyclist your pretty fit :) Take care Chandra.

      Delete
  2. I really like the sound of this recipe, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'm glad you could share these "virtually", even if you were forbidden to share them in reality!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I've just mastered quick blender curd so I'll have to try these. Delicious! BTW did you get my email? Maybe it has gone in your spam folder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOh sounds lovely Jac.
      Sent you an e mail back. Thank you x

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! I love the impact and zing of lemon curd. Thanks so much for linking up with #Bakeoftheweek - Great to have you part of the team

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, I am so pleased to have found out about the challenge.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You