Monday, 2 June 2014

Slice of Rhubarb, Vanilla and Pomegranate Tart

Okay, I think I've teased you enough.  Finally here to much request is the recipe for my Rhubarb, Vanilla and Pomegranate Tart posted late last month and made with rhubarb from my garden.
I've made my own shortcrust pastry, but for the recipe here I've advised you to make your own. As for the pomegranate seeds, I am not going to tell you how to get them out of the pomegranate, you are going to have to figure out that one yourself!

Rhubarb Vanilla and Pomegranate Tart.
Serves 12
Pre-baked shortcrust pastry
For the filling
300g rhubarb, sliced
80g brown sugar
1 package of silken tofu
2 tablespoons soy milk
2 teaspoons smooth nut butter (peanut or cashew)
2 teaspoons cornflour
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Seeds from 1 pomegranate 
Preheat oven to gas mark 4 or 1800c.
Combine the rhubarb and brown sugar in a pan and cook on medium heat until it begins to release its juices, then turn low and simmer until the rhubarb has softened, but still keeping its shape.  Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
When it is cook, using a colander, drain the excess juice over a bowl. Spread the rhubarb over the pre-baked shortcrust pastry evenly.
In a food processor, blitz together the silken tofu, soy milk, nut butter, cornflour and vanilla extract and blitz until well combined.  Scrape carefully and pour onto the rhubarb in the pastry case. Spread evenly so that the rhubarb is well covered.  
Bake in oven for 30 - 35 minutes or until the top is firm to the touch.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 30 minutes, then scatter over the pomegranate seeds.  
Slice and serve warm or at room temperature. 
Previously on A2K - A Seasonal Veg Tables
2009 The joy of elderflowers and Vegan Strawberry Cake
2010 Sticky orange fingers, geckos and glight of the eagle!
2011 Indonesian Savoury Pineapple Rice and Aubergine Tomato Relish Pasta Sauce
2012 Beetroot and Chocolate Almond Brownies
2013 Vegan Mango and Coconut Cake


  1. I like your new page header!

    1. Thanks Mark. I'm not too sure about it yet. I think it looks a tad old fashioned, Hopefully it will start looking natural to me. What i do like about it is the raw ingredients and then the cooked - all from the garden.

  2. The recipe looks amazing and I love your new header.

  3. Such a tasty treat.
    Glad I am not looking at this before going to bed :)

    Peace :)

    1. Thank you Chandra :) I am sure you would like it.

  4. Looks really good- I have to try this; anything to use up all our rhubarb that isn't crumble :)


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You