Wednesday, 11 June 2014

Vegan Jamaican Patties Pies

I have to say when the sun is shining and the weather is hot hot hot, pastry pies do not appeal to me, they seem more suited to colder days, but these ones dyed yellow from the spice turmeric remind me of the sunshine glow.  I have also got to admit, I don't often go for curry powder or curried flavoured dishes, (which may be a surprise to some of you as I do like my chillies )but I've made an exception for these as they are completely different, as well as the fact these contain the headiness of cumin. These Jamaican Patties are well packed with well flavoured vegetables that sing summer-time: how can I resist. Its both sweet and mildly spiced, not heat hot, just lightly spiced. I hope traditionalists will forgive me for making these British style, compact and round instead of the typical half moon shaped ones you often see.  
I think these Jamaican Patty Pies are perfect to make and take on beach picnics.  Sit your bum on the sand, open up your picnic hamper and behold these golden hand pies.  Now to eat them, just hold them in your hands between a napkin , close your eyes and bite in.  Nice.

I know what you are going to say, we can't see whats on the inside. I am so sorry, sometimes greed comes first.  I promise the next time I make these to try and remember to take a photograph of the colourful filling: gold, red and green. 



I am sharing one of these vegan Jamaican Pattie Pies with  Vanesther at Bangers and Mash who is hosting Junes edition of The Spice Trail: Cumin and; My Legume Love Affair #72  as it contains kidney beans.  MLLA as it is known to its fans, is a popular, legume-centred event was created by Susan of The Well-Seasoned Cook, who is also this months host.  It is now run by Lisa of Lisa's Kitchen; and finally, Junes edition of Family Foodies hosted by Louisa at Eat Your Veg and Vanesther at Bangers and Mash

Vegan Jamaican Patties
Makes 6 - 8
2 - 3 tablespoons olive oil
1medium onion, peeled and finely sliced
200g carrots, peeled and diced
250g sweet potatoes or butternut squash, peeled and chopped into cubes
3 peppers, red, green and yellow, deseeded and diced
1 teaspoon dried thyme

1 generous teaspoon cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
1/2 teaspoon all-spice powder
200g can sweetcorn, drained and rinsed
400g cooked kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Salt and pepper to taste

Method
Preheat the oven to 180ÂșC.
Heat oil and then add in sliced onions and saute until translucent.  Then add in the diced carrots and sweet potatoes or butternut squash if using.  Cook on moderate heat, stirring constantly until beginning to appear translucent, stir in the peppers and thyme, spices and continue cooking until all the vegetables are tender.  Stir in the sweetcorn and kidney beans, salt and pepper to taste.  Cover and cook for a few minutes for the flavours to blend. Turn off heat and allow to cool. 

Now make the pastry
You have three choices for the pastry.
For ease, you can use shop bought puff pastry or shortcrust pastry – in which case pour the filling into a casserole and top with the pastry and cook according to packet instructions.
Or you can make your own shortcrust pastry.

For all these recipes please add 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder  and 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme to the pastry just before kneading.
You can make you own hot water crust pastry. Follow here for the recipe. For individual pies, see here.
Preheat the oven to gas mark 5.

Fill the pastry and top with lid.
Bake for 30 - 40 minutes depending on the size of your shortcrust or hot water crust pastry pie(s). Allow to cool, before serving.


13 comments:

  1. Amazing picnic food...

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Shaheen, but a Jamaican Patty is just not the same unless it is full of curried meat! (And half-moon shaped!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to disagree with you Mark, I have it on good authority that the Jamaicans make patties from just vegetables, take Reggae Regga man Levi Roots for example. Re the half moon shape, well the people who have had my round version have not grumbled too much :)

      Delete
  3. I will take your word for it, Shaheen, even if you don't post a picture of the inside/filling. Sounds delicious!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise to share the picture next time, as I will be making them again for sure. Been a hit so far.

      Delete
  4. Love the hand pie, where do you find such a nice tin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David, humbled.
      I picked up the tine tartlet tins from a supermarket, they are widely available in the U.K

      Delete
  5. Totally agree - these gorgeous patty pies would be wonderful for a picnic. You should also enter them into this month's Family Foodies challenge over at @eat_your_veg. But I'm very pleased you've shared them with #TheSpiceTrail - thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound really rather tasty Shaheen! I know what you mean about pies in the summer but packed full of so much colourful goodness these I'm sure would be delightful all year around. Thanks so much for linking up to Family Foodies 'Al Fresco' event and my apologies in only getting around to reading until now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to apologise Louisa, its totally okay, I am a bit distracted these days and don't visit as many blogs as I once did.

      Delete
  7. Not sure that my comment stuck.

    I used to frequent a Jamaican kiosk where I worked in NYC. I loved their patties. I know I would love yours, too.

    Thanks for your great MLLA recipe, Shaheen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. I have had positive comments about these, so am quite pleased. Thank you, I'd love to visit NYC one day.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen