Thursday, 26 June 2014

Ruby Red Strawberry and Custard Tart

Call me a greedy strawberry face,( nom nom nom) but I put my hands up and admit that in one day  I have made not one, but two delectable sumptuous sweet treats: a Strawberry and Custard Tart; and a Strawberry Pavlova,but before you get carried away with the name calling, please be aware that this very tart did not pass my lips, it was delivered the very next day to my parents home for the family to share.  However, the Strawberry Pavlova was ours to indulge in, your welcome to have a piece, but you better come on over!

The reason I made two lots of sweet delights  is that the strawberries in my garden are ripening very quickly with all the sunshine.  Every evening I go out and I pick almost another full punnet.  As well as enjoying the strawberries au naturale, we've also had them with vanilla ice-cream and Greek yogurt. 
It was early in the week that I decided to make a Strawberry and Custard Tart.  A recipe that I have not made before.  As well as making your own sweet shortcrust pastry, the recipe required making your own custard.  Its been a while since I made custard from scratch,  but I was happy to do so, the only thing I was left with 6 egg whites,  so of course there had to be another sweet treat in the waiting - Strawberry Pavlova but more about that later.
Had I thought about it in advance, I may have taken time with the strawberries and cut them so that they looked like tiny red love hearts.  Still I think that custard tart looks impressive studded with ruby red strawberries and  fresh pomegranate seeds. 


I am sharing this with Jacqueline at Tinned Tomatoes for Junes edition of Boomarked Recipes. I am not giving the recipe for the shortcrust pastry and leave it up to you how you decided to make it to line a 12 inch flan tin; or feel free to use shop-bought, just pre-bake the pastry case and allow to cool. Then start making the Strawberry and Custard filling as instructed below.
Ruby Red Strawberry and Custard Tart Filling
Serves 8 - 10
Ingredients
150g caster sugar
6 egg yolks (don't throw the egg whites away, I've got a recipe to use them up)
6 tablespoons cornflour
400ml milk
Around 600- 800g fresh strawberries, washed and cut in half
Optional: Handful of pomegranate seeds
Method
Whisk the sugar, egg yolks and cornflour together in a heavy based saucepan, until the mixture leaves a ribbon trail (a chef term).  Bring the milk to the boil, then remove from the heat and pour gradually into the egg mixture, whisking all the time.  Return to low heat, remembering to whisk all the time until it thickens.  Turn of the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes, now and again give it a whisk to stop a skin from forming on the surface. 
When cool, pour and spread carefully over the pastry base with a spatula.  Then gently place the strawberries over the top, sprinkle the optional pomegranate seeds. 
Allow to chill in the fridge overnight, before slicing and sharing the next day.
 Recipe is slightly adapted from Nadine Abensur Secrets From A  Vegetarian Kitchen.

10 comments:

  1. OMG! So pretty! We are strawberry faces too! And a Pavlova is one of the items on my culinary bucket list - one of those beautiful frothy looking desserts that I simply must make one day!

    Your parents are very lucky to have a kid with a sweet tooth! bet that custard tart didn't survive long at the family do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. So glad I am not alone with the strawberry face :)
      The custard tart was demolished quick, my parents missed out as the nephews and nieces tucked in!

      Delete
  2. that tart looks so pretty and sounds delicious - what a chore to have to bake your way through all those strawberries :-) We have been eating strawberries on porridge this week but nothing exciting and nothing home grown :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna.
      I know - such a chore. If you have any ideas please share, you know I welcome them always.

      Delete
  3. All I see is perfection! I'd love a slice of that!! :9
    I saw this on twitter and had to check it out. The only problem is that I just ran out of strawberries. :<

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Thank you so much Adi. You are always very kind.
      You want to come on over to mine and harvest some, I have too many that I just can;t keep up. You better come on over quick or the slugs with get them.

      Delete
  4. That looks sensational Shaheen. I now need strawberry tart! I am totally craving all the yummy desserts I am seeing tonight. Thanks for submitting yours. The Bookmarked Recipes roundup is live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jac.
      Always a pleasure.

      Delete
  5. Ooooh that looks very nice indeed and combines two of my favourite things - strawberries and pastry :)

    I too have plenty of strawberries ripening in the garden, always nice to have a new recipe to try - thanks for sharing.

    Angela - Garden Tea Cakes and Me

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen