Sunday, 15 June 2014

Garam Masala Radish Quiche with Radish Tops and Brie

Early in the week I harvested some radishes from the garden, this is the dish I made with them using the whole of the radish - roots and tops! 
I've cooked with the prickly radish green leafy tops before, they do need to be sauteed though, but if you don't fancy them, then just omit them from the recipe.  I've also spiced up the filling a little with the addition of garam masala and a pinch of chilli flakes, but again - this is totally optional.  I just thought it made the radishes taste a bit more interesting, for those of you who have had enjoyed a vegetarian Mooli  Curry dish at an South Asian eatery will know what I mean. 
If you look closely, (you may need to squint a little) you may be able to see that I have tried to arrange some of the sliced radish roots into a flower petal shape. If you can get your mitts on rainbow radishes, your Radish Quiche will look pretty amazing. 

I am sharing this recipe with Simple and in Season hosted by Ren Behan.
Garam Masala Radish Quiche with Radish Tops and Brie
Serves 6
Blind bake the pastry case and set aside

2 teaspoons of olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons garam masala
Pinch of chilli flakes or cayenne pepper
10 – 12 radish roots and its leafy greens.  Wash and slice the radish roots in half or thinner if you so wish, and rinse the greens, removing any hard stem
Salt and pepper to taste
250ml milk
4 free range eggs,
75g Brie cheese, sliced thinly
Heat oil in pan, then stir in the onion and cook until soft and translucent, then stir in the garlic and spices and cook for a couple of minutes, before adding in the radishes and its greens.  Cook for a few minutes or until the radishes are soft.  Season to taste, then set aside to cool down. 
Arrange the onion- radishes and radish tops in the base of the pastry case, then layer the Brie cheese evenly.  Beat the eggs, and milk with salt and pepper and pour into the tart.  Bake in a preheated oven, 180oc/Gas mark 4 for 30 – 40 minutes until golden and the filling is just set.  Leave to cool for 15 minutes, then remove the tart from the tin.  Cut into squares and serve warm or at room temperature. 


  1. Oh my God, Shaheen.
    This looks divine.
    I am going to have to discuss this with my wife.

    Peace :)

    1. So pleased that you like this Chandra. To enhance the flavour even further you could also add fresh coriander leaves to the mix, or even fenugreek! I hope you can encourage your lovely Mrs to make her own version :)


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You