Sunday, 8 June 2014

Gothic Black Olive Tapenade

Yesterday morning thunder and lightning at woke me up.  The day began overcast and drizzly, but by the afternoon the sunshine was out and it was lovely and relatively dry.  

I picked up some bread from the farmers market - my fortnightly foodie treat, so not to waste it and enjoy it whilst still fresh.  It was suggested to me by D to make some spreads and dips.  I've shared the recipe for chickpea hummus (and different ingredient combinations  such as wild garliccourgette and beetroot before), but never olive tapenade.  I am not sure why not, as I've made both green and black tapenade a number of times, since starting this blog. 
I first had tapenade when I went to Turkey with my in-laws and their friends.  It was often offered as a complimentary dish, a bit like bread sticks.  I remember sitting at a Turkish restaurant and someone said 'I don't like olives'.  I responded 'do you know that the tapenade your tucking into is made from olives'.  His response with a big smile right back at me ' Oh, then I guess I must like olives then'.   I understand where he was coming from, because the first time an olive passed my teenage lips I spat it right out and never tried it again until my adult days, when my tastes were becoming more adventurous.  Between the two though, I have to admit green olives are my preference.  
Anyway, back to the black olive tapenade.  A jar of black olives was lurking at the back of my fridge, opened a few weeks back when I made D a pasta dish with black olives for his working lunch. Unsure what else to do with it, I was prompted by D to make tapenade.  Tapenade - green or black costs a fair bit if picked up from the deli or shop, so why not make your own at home.  This one is vegetarian and vegan too, many of the shop bought ones contain anchovies.  It will keep in the fridge for two weeks.  Its quite versatile too, not just for spreading on fresh bread, try it on toasted bread too; or even with pasta.


We have been enjoying the Black Olive Tapenade over the weekend with some artisan bread from Tortoise Bakery.  I picked up two loaves: a savoury one with sunflower and pumpkin seeds (right) and a sweet one with apricots and figs (left) and an Italian loaf that was kindly bestowed upon us for free. Thank you.  
I am sharing this with Credit Crunch Munch hosted by Lancashire Food, it is an idea initiated by Fab Food For All and Fuss Free Flavours.

Black Olive Tapenade
For sharing
You will need a food processor for this recipe
Ingredients
220g pitted black olives
80g capers in brine, rinsed
Handful of fresh parsley leaves, including stalks, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
180ml - 200ml olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Put all the ingredients into a food processor and blitz to a coarse paste, not a puree as you want some texture.  Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary and blitz again very briefly. Transfer to a bowl and chill until required.  Adapted from Leiths Vegetarian Bible.

Previously on A2K - A Seasonal Veg Table

2011 Wild Rice and Parsnip Risotto
2011 Malaysian Black Pepper Tofu 
2013 Lemon Thyme and Black Rice Risotto 
2013 Black Rice and Butternut Squash Fritters
2014 Fennel and Black Olive Risotto

12 comments:

  1. I love tapenade, thanks for linking up to Credit Crunch munch

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same feeling about olives, but slowly I've become more adventurous regarding them. I'll have to give this recipe a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily, feel free to half the recipe first, just in case you decide your not that keen on this tapenade.

      Delete
  3. I'm going to try this, I have all of the ingredients to hand. I dislike anchovies greatly so have always been put off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne, please feel free to half the recipe ingredients, just in case you decide your not that keen on this tapenade. But fingers crossed that you do like, please let me know.

      Delete
  4. My husband loves olives! He can eat one right out of the jar with the olive juice and everything! My favorite are the black olives, so I already know that I'd devour this tapenade.

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These days I can eat out of the jar, but it has to be the green ones :) I'm pleased to learn that you would devour this tapenade, hope you make some day for you and your husband.

      Delete
  5. With hummus and tapenade, I am in heaven.
    Very tasty accompaniments to some good bread.
    Good going, Shaheen.
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never tried Tapenade but this looks delish. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen