Friday, 27 June 2014

Red Berries Pavlova

Early in the week, I made a Strawberry and Custard Tart.. The thrifty cook in me found that I was left with 6 egg whites, rather than wash them down the sink drain.  I  scrolled through my bookmarked recipes for meringues and found a pavlova recipe that required 4 egg whites.
What to do with the other 2, I could have made little meringues but decided to focus my energy on the pavlova.  So the remaining 2 egg whites were washed down the sink.  I know some of you will say freeze them, but I am still in two minds about freezing the whites from eggs. It just doesn't seem right to me.
Anyway, back to the pavlova.  It was everything I had imagined it to be - the meringuey part light like rice paper and delicate that it melted on the tongue like shards of white candy floss.  The marshmallow white in the middle had depth and was soft, smooth and silky.  The whipped double cream - decadent and creamy, and finally the red berries, ranging from strawberries and raspberries from my garden, red currants from the farmers market and pomegranate seeds from my fridge - all delicious. This dessert truly made me swoon, that I found myself cutting another slice,; and no I did not feel guilty - how can I with all that beautiful fresh red fruit berries!  In fact I felt positively smug.   


I am sharing this with Waste Not and Bake of the Week hosted by Casa Costello. 
Red Berries Pavlova
Serves 6 - 8
Ingredients
4 egg whites
250g caster sugar
2 teaspoons cornflour
1 teaspoon cider white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
300ml double cream,
150g strawberries
150g raspberries
Optional Pomegranate seeds,
Optional Handful of redcurrants
Method
Cover a large baking sheet with a piece of nonstick baking paper.
Whisk the egg whites until they are firm peaks.
In a clean bowl, mix together the sugar and cornflour, then add it to the egg whites slowly, whisking all the time.  finally stir int he vinegar and vanilla.  
Spoon the mixture on to the baking paper spreading it out into a circle or as I did an oval shape about 8 - 9 inches in diameter.  
Place in a preheated oven gas mark 4/180oc.  After 10 minutes, turn it down to Gas mark 2/150oc. and bake for 1 hour or until crisp.  Leave it to cook in the oven.
Whip the double cream until it forms soft peaks.  Carefully spread this over the pavlova and cover gently with the red fruit.  Bring to your guests in WOW fashion! Slice and enjoy a piece or two. Adapted from Rose Elliots Vegetarian Supercook. 

6 comments:

  1. Ok I'm on a diet and I really shouldn't have looked at this! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you did Julee :) Has it added soem inches to your waistline :)

      Delete
  2. A lovely summery mix of berries there, and a lovely looking pavlova... I could just go a big slice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'd happily have given you a big slice - I've eaten more than my share.

      Delete
  3. This is the second blog I have read this morning that features strawberries. Makes me long for the summer. I the addition of pomegranate seeds.
    Zanas kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strawberries are in season, so there will be loads of strawberry inspiration. Lovely to make your acquaintance.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You