Tuesday, 27 May 2014

Vegan Rhubarb, Vanilla and Pomegranate Tart

Remember the rhubarb that I harvested from my garden early this month?  Well, here is one pretty awesome dish that I made with some of it - Rhubarb Vanilla and Pomegranate Tart.  I am really really chuffed with it. 

Once the tart had cooled down and removed from its fluted tin, I thought it looked pretty plain and required something more to make it visually appealing.  Fortunately for me I had some pomegranate seeds in the fridge.  I decided to scatter some over the creamy vanilla tofu topping.  It gleamed and shimmered like edible rubies and looked absolutely beautiful.  But we all know that beautiful looking tarts, and a vegan one for that are not there just for the admiring, this tart had to be sliced carefully, first to see if it had set and yes it had.  And secondly for the taste test.
And I have to say, hand on heart it was very very good too.  My spoon hit the creamy vanilla tofu topping, then the soft rhubarb and then the hard crust. The rhubarb sitting at the bottom, did not make the pastry base soggy at all.  All in all the flavours and textures came together wonderfully.   



I am going to tease those of you eager for the recipe a little while longer as its getting late and time for my beddy byes, so please come back for the recipe.  For the recipe, please follow this link.
I am also sharing a slice of this vegan Rhubarb, Vanilla and Pomegranate Tart with Solange at Pebble Soup  who is hosting Vanilla Theme for Spice Trail on behalf of Vanesther at Bangers and Mash.  and Recipe of the Week hosted by Emily at A Mummy Too.

16 comments:

  1. oh I wanted to see inside the tart and see the sweet pink rhubarb - I picked up some rhubarb recently and think it will just be a boring stewed fruit - wish I had your pastry mojo - look forward to seeing the recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise to show you the inside next month when I make another variation, just a couple of tweaks, not major.

      Delete
  2. That's an interesting recipe, loved the click as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The addition of the pomegranate seeds has transformed one thing that would otherwise have looked very plain into something special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Mark. Plain to something special - feast for the eyes

      Delete
  4. Pretty...sounds like a nice taste combo too!

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shaheen, what a beauty, I have to say that one of the most difficult things to cook in my opinion is a vegan dessert but this proves me wrong. Thank you for taking the time to enter The Spice Trail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Solange. The vanilla is essential in this dessert as it lifts the tofu topping perfectly with the rhubarb tartness beneath - lovely balance.

      Delete
  6. Now that is mean Shaheen, your tart looks fantastic and I want to know how you make a good tofu filling. Pomegranate seeds are wonderful for decorating all sorts of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know :)
      Promise to share next month with a sliced piece.
      And yeah so agreed pomegranate seeds are fab for decorating all sorts of dishes, not just sweet!

      Delete
  7. Hi Shaheen,
    The Good People at Naturally Good Food who sponsored Wow Vanilla were very interested by this tart and they would like to see the recipe. I'll DM you the details and you can take it from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Solange. The recipe is up see here.
      http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/slice-of-rhubarb-vanilla-and.html
      I will DM you too.

      Delete
  8. This looks fabulous. I will have to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SewWhite, it was lovely and I would recommend it. I am hoping to make another one soon.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You