Monday, 5 May 2014

Making and Eating Raw Chocolate

I've been feeling under the weather the past few weeks, and needed some natural up-lifting.  Well, a few days ago, D encouraged me to go and do something just for myself, something that would be a good distraction from the lows bringing me down.  

For those of you who know me through blog-reading, will know that I am not a chocolate fanatic, I' enjoy small morsels now and again, when the mood takes me.  However, I had recently read about raw chocolate classes and it got me kind of curious.  I've eaten raw chocolate in the past, I have to admit I wasn't that keen on it at first, but then with every small bite I developed a taste for it.  Still not mad about it, but like it enough to try and attempt making my own.  Well before I knew it I was at a Raw Chocolate class being taught on a one to one basis.  Raw chocolate base is made from raw cacao and cacao butter.  I was also introduced to lots of new ingredients, like mesquite powder (white carob), lucuma, purple corn flour, maca root powder, baobab powder and a number of others that escape my head. 

As well as coming home smelling sweet like chocolate, I came home with this impressive selection. You should have seen my reaction when the chocolate fell out effortlessly from the moulds. Totally amazing.  They are definitely an acquired taste, none of my nephews or nieces liked them, saying that they were too bitty.  I didn't mind them, nor did D - so plenty for us to enjoy over the next couple of weeks. 
Above heart-shaped coins enhance with lavender buds, purple corn flour, cacao nibs, carob powder, vanilla and maple syrup
  These shaped into butterflies and a flower have lucuma fruit powder and vanilla extract
 Sea shells with a hint of Himalayan Rose Pink Crystal Salt
And finally, Mint extract, some kind of seaweed powder (sorry can't remember the name at the moment) and carob powder .  
I am planning to go back in a month or so as it was a lovely distraction for the day. And I am planning to take along a stash of chilli flakes as I would like to make some red chilli and cacao raw chocolate. 

12 comments:

  1. Now your talking! Raw chocolate is the best!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lovely to hear from you Greenorchid. Do really hope your well.

      Delete
  2. Wow, they sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tried it before, but the flavours sound enticing. Hope it helped cheer you up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The day was wonderful and def. did cheer me up. Hope to do it again, I was certainly seduced by chocolate.

      Delete
  4. Why is raw chocolate used instead of cooked / processed? Is it superior in raw form, or what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its in its natural form, unprocessed. Its made without additives like sugar and milk.

      Delete
  5. Yum! I am planning to have a go at some raw chocolate this weekend for my mum for mother's day. Hope it works as well as these :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please let me know how your versions go little vegan bear, I'd love to know.

      Delete
  6. These look beautiful! How do you get such a lovely finish on the chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first try, i guess it must have been the moulds.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen