Thursday, 8 May 2014

Rustic Asparagus and Purple Sprouting Broccoli Quiche

The asparagus season is so short, so for those of you who like them with a passion, you better get some soon.

Well my husband did not hesitate and picked up some at a reduced price at a supermarket and gave me a big hint to make a cheesy Quiche with them.  Who said 'real men don't eat Quiche?!1 Because I would strongly disagree.  It got me thinking when it was the last time I made Quiche at home, and I really couldn't remember.  So a quick blog search revealed that the last one I shared on my blog was  Summertime last year and it was a Caramelised Red Onion Brie Quiche made with home-grown strawberries. 
So his request albeit through a hint was accommodated.

Not only does this Quiche have asparagus, I also added in some blanched Purple Sprouting Broccoli. showcased In My Kitchen blog post.  

I couldn't be bothered to trim off the excess cooked pastry and in some places it had shrunk a bit, so I left it and decided to call it rustic - works, don't you think.  
Not only did this make for a good meal, there is plenty left over for him to take into work tomorrow.


Have you been making the most of the Asparagus season?  
I am sharing this quiche with Janet from The Hedgecombers and Karen of Lavender and Lovage who are co-hosting TeaTime Treat and the theme is  Open Top Pies, Tarts and Quiches.

12 comments:

  1. What a stunning looking quiche. I adore asparagus so I've been stocking up on the stuff. Never thought to make a square or oblong quiche but it looks so pretty. Great idea x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dom, I don't use this oblong fluted tin enough, hopefully this year I will use it lots.

      Delete
  2. I love asparagus, but unfortunately developed a severe allergy to it about 4 years ago :( But I do grow it for hubby (how nice is that!!!!) and this quiche looks lovely xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear you have developed an allergic reaction to asparagus. I'm not a huge fan of it, my husband loves it - so when in season, it is namely bought and made for him to enjoy. Nice that you still grow it for your husband x

      Delete
  3. What a lovely way to use asparagus! I like the rustic look, you get more pastry that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne. I agree more pastry that way :)

      Delete
  4. Such a great looking quiche, and that too square..so innovative! I adore asparagus, and this is a greatw ay to get the kids eat it. You got a lovely space here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, nice to make your acquaintance.

      Delete
  5. This quiche looks delicious and contains some of my favourite ingredients - I often use asparagus but normally as brunch ingredient with bacon and egg rather than in quiches, I'll have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! I reminds me of a wildflower meadow!
    Thank you so much for finding the time to enter it in this months Tea Time Treats!
    Janie x

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You