Thursday, 22 May 2014

Vegan Ginger Chocolate Cake

I've made this cake many times.  I actually remember the first time it passed my lips.  The texture was airy light, almost mousse like. However, a day later, the texture firmed up a little, still very tasty. 
The ginger in the cake certainly kicks you in the mouth on first bite; and wakes you up, just in case you were a tad tired.  Because its such an easy cake to knock up and affordable to make, especially as most of the ingredients are to hand in my kitchen store-cupboard, I am sharing this lovely vegan Ginger Chocolate Cake with lots of bloggers - virtually of course!

I am sharing this vegan Ginger Chocolate Cake with Choclette of Chocolate Log Blog who is hosting We Should Cocoa Challenge #45.  The theme this month is Cake for £1. Also Treat Petite who are celebrating World Baking Day.  It is hosted by Baking Explorer and Cakeyboi on alternate months' and finally Credit Crunch Munch with Camilla of Fab Food For All and Helen of Fuss Free Flavours.  This month it is being hosted by Ginger Bites.
Vegan Ginger Chocolate Cake
30g cocoa powder
180g plain flour
½ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoon ground ginger
165g brown sugar
200ml strong brewed coffee, cooled
100ml vegetable oil
55g chopped crystallized ginger
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
Heat the oven to Gas Mark 5. 
Oil an 8 inch round baking tin.
In a large bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger. Stir in the sugar. In a small bowl, combine the coffee with the oil and whisk. Then beat the liquid into the dry ingredients. 
Stir in the crystallized ginger, and then quickly stir in the vinegar.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 – 35 minutes, or until a toothpick in the centre of the cake comes out clean. 


  1. Well I've been lucky enough to try one of your vegan chocolate cakes, so I know how good they are. Love the idea of fiery ginger. A bonus with these type of cakes, is that they are so simple to make. Thanks for entering it into WSC.

    1. Thank you Choclette, Oh I so remember x

  2. Not got any crystalised ginger, would fresh root ginger work I wonder? (Save on the sugar load too!)

    1. You can def. sub with fresh ginger, maybe not as much though. Also Iknow it seems like a lot of sugar, but this is not an overly sweet cake - honest

    2. Fresh ginger will work well too, just not as much.

  3. A spicy chocolate cake sounds just up your alley - I am fascinated by the idea of bringing chocolate and ginger together but never managed to get it quite right so this will go onto my list

    1. Do try this Johanna - its a pretty fail safe recipe.

  4. Shaheen,
    This sounds so delicious.
    I will have to take it in small bites, of course.
    I especially like the fact that this cake does not require eggs.
    Peace :)

    1. Thank you Chandra.
      Small bites are absolutely fine :)

  5. Ooh your cake sounds totally lush, must book mark it for sure:-) Thank you for entering Credit Crunch Munch with such a frugal cake:-)


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You