Thursday, 28 February 2013

The Original Glamorgan Dog

Not a Welsh Rarebit in Sight. No Sir!

Why?! Because we have something even better - the Glamorgan Dog; or if you want to be a bit downright dirty, then call it The Vegi  Glamorgan Daug.

In anticipation of St Davids tomorrow, I have been offering Glamorgan Sausage Dogs  (based on the American Hot Dog) all week.  I have to admit, they are not yet as popular as the vegetarian burgers I make or the eyebrow raising and conversation starting Elvis Presley Bagel - but they do certainly get the thumbs up for flavour.
I could easily have served up Welsh Rarebit like many eateries here in Wales, but to me Welsh Rarebit is effectively  just cheese on toast jazzed up a little with some designer leaves on the side.  I guess its the celebrity chef Gary Rhodes affect, some of you may remember when he made the humble and homely Bread and Pudding fashionable to eat at high end restaurants.  So some places can get away charging almost £7 for cheese on toast, but not here - here we are going a little bit modern and its only under £3.  The Glamorgan Sausage known as Selsig Morgannwg in W elsh is made from Caerphilly cheese, leeks, breadcrumbs, mustard, seasoning and binded with egg yolk is freshly made and cooked and then put into a finger roll, that is generously filled with home-made coleslaw and a good squirt of French Mustard, on the side for garnish if you so wish - some salted crisps.  For my Glamorgan Sausage recipe follow this link.

Alongside the vegetarian Glamorgan Dog, I have also been making a Vegetarian Chilli Dog, a fat vegetarian sausage doused generously with home-made chilli (or to keep it strictly Welsh topped with my take on what would be a Welsh Chilli Con Carne) and then prettily tarted up with some jalapeno peppers.  The soured cream and extra Welsh cheddar cheese is optional, but more about that later.

I will also share you more original Welsh inspired delights over the next few days including the Welsh Chilli Con Carne, just got to remember to take my camera with me.  And if you can't wait, here are some Vegan and Vegetarian Welsh dishes from previous years featured on my blog.  Or click on this link and I mustn't forget my Welsh Eggs!

13 comments:

  1. Yum, I love Glamorgan sausages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy! Way better then the fake "sausages" at the store....Gonna give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are so much better than those chewy plastic sausages you get at the supermarket.

      Delete
  3. That looks pretty good! Maybe you should offer it with a Leek Salad as a garnish - leeks are really nice when lightly cooked and then cooled. You can taste them better that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of sauteed leeksas a side with these, be better than the crisps. I agree leeks do taste better that way too

      Delete
  4. happy St David's Day - I would definitely buy one of these hot dogs if I were nearby - sounds delicious and a nice change to a vegie burger - I loved vegie burgers but have been quite interested in the rise of veg hot dogs lately in melbourne's cafes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna. These are a little slow to take off here, but I know once discovered they will be a hit.

      Delete
  5. Those hot dogs look fab Shaheen. Firmly on the to do list. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark, so good to hear from you.

      Delete
  6. looks delicious. happy st david's day from bonnie scotland xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So good to hear from you Lou. Really x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not too familiar with Welsh food but the Sausage sure looks good enough to eat!! Delicious

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You