Monday, 4 February 2013

Banana,Darjeeling and Pistachio Cake

Where did my weekend go?!

I can't believe its already Monday.  I feel so tired, so please forgive me for this rather short post.  I am off to brush my teeth and get myself into bed.  
I leave you with this Banana, Darjeeling and Pistachio cake.  I've made this Banana and Darjeeling cake before, but this is a variation with the inclusion of pistachio nuts - only because I had them to hand.  Its a moist cake. 

I am sharing a slice of this cake with Laura of How to Cook Good Food and Nazima of Franglais Kitchen who are featuring bananas for Februarys edition of One Ingredient.

Banana, Darjeeling and Pistachio Cake
Serves 6
Ingredients
6 – 8 Darjeeling tea bags
250ml boiling water
1 large banana
125g soft butter
125g soft brown sugar
2 eggs
200g self raising flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
60g pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
For the icing
175g icing sugar
1 teaspoon butter
Method
Add the tea bags to the boiling water in a measuring jug, making sure they are all submerged. Allow to stew until cold. Then squeeze the tea bags to get as much liquid from them as possible. Discard the tea bags and measure out ¼ pint of tea, saving the rest. Mash the banana with the butter and brown sugar, then stir the measured tea, the eggs, flour and baking powder and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.  Stir in the pistachio nuts. 
Line an 8 inch cake tin with non stick baking paper, spoon the mixture in and gently level the surface. Bake in a preheated oven gas mark 4 for 40 –45 minutes, or until a skewer in the centre comes out clean. Cool for a minute or so in the tin, then turn out on to a wire rack and leave until cold.
For the icing
Put the icing sugar into a saucepan with the butter and 2 tablespoons of the remaining tea, discarding the rest. Stir over the heat until the butter has melted. Pour over the top of the cake and leave to set. Adapted very slightly from Rose Elliot's Veggie Chic

4 comments:

  1. looks lovely, will have to pop by and try some :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wobblymouse, not on the menu this week - but you will find Parsnip and Raisin Cake and Beetroot Brownies, as well as White Chocolate and Fig Cake!

      Delete
  2. Ooh Shaheen I love the flavour combinations here. I have used rooibosch tea in cake batter but need to try this recipe out. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nazima, I've not cooked with rooibosh tea, so will have to try that out for sure.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen