Saturday, 23 February 2013

Vegan Chocolate Gingerbread Cake

I am off to the theatre later this evening to watch Facade: that promises to be an intimate and theatrical three course meal, during which, drama unfolds.  I believe the theatrical part, but not sure about the intimate part - especially as there will be a fair size audience.  Nevertheless, I am genuinely  looking forward to it and hope to share more about it later on in the week.  I am also looking foward to putting on my glad rags and some rouge for the cheeks and lips.  Its been a while, since I've spruced up andmoreso eaten out. 

Anyway, onto some cakey delights - today I share with you some vegan chocolate gingerbread cakes.    
Part of me wished  I had one of those silicone gingerbread people moulds (a bit like the heart shaped moulds I used for my Valentines strawberry jelly) and then this would have been so darn cute to serve. Maybe next time, unless of course you beat me to them.
Regardless of how they look, one person who had the cake said it was so delicious, he couldn't help scraping the last of the cake remnants from the baking parchment paper. 
I am sharing this with Choclette and Chele  for their monthly We Should Cocoa Challenge. The theme for February is ginger and it is hosted by Jen of Blue Kitchen Bakes.
Chocolate Gingerbread
Makes 6 - 8 or 1x  8 inch round baking tin
Ingredients
30g cocoa powder
180g plain flour
½ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2½ teaspoon ground ginger
165g brown sugar
200ml strong brewed coffee, cooled
100ml vegetable oil
60g crystallized ginger, chopped
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
Method

Heat the oven to Gas Mark 5. Oil an 8 inch round baking tin or 6 - 8 round/oval cake tins lined with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger. Stir in the sugar. In a small bowl, combine the coffee with the oil and whisk. Then beat the liquid into the dry ingredients. Stir in the crystallized ginger, and then quickly stir in the vinegar.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 – 35 minutes, or until a toothpick in the centre of the cake comes out clean.  These are better served the following day.

22 comments:

  1. Hope you had a pleasant evening watching other people eat in public!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I also joined in with the eating, it was like a restaruant with actors and gymnasts.

      Delete
  2. Cool way to make them in the papers. I made Chocolate Gingerbread too, but not vegan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw and I drooled, lucky son of yours.

      Delete
  3. I love the sound of this Shaheen - chocolate and gingerbread together is a wonderful mix!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some more inspired cakes for me to make for Graham.

    ReplyDelete
  5. these sound lovely,I'll be in wednesday i'm guessing there won't be any of these yummy things left. I'm sure whatever is on offer will be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look forward to seeing you whenever you return. Hope your well, I know life is busy.

      Delete
  6. MMMMMMMMM, lovely gingerbread cake, very interesting recipe filled with goodness, love the aroma of baking with ginger and cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely cakes - crystallised ginger sounds excellent in these

    (BTW just saw you have haggis in a stew on your hunky dorys menu - that sounds great - any chance it will appear on the blog?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Johanna,
      typo with the HD menu, good job someone has proof reading eyes, so nope - no recipe appearing on the blog as error on my part. Only you noticed

      Delete
  8. oh my goodness, they look scrummy! I hope you are well, it feels like ages since I have been in bloggy land x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feelign scented sweetpeas, I am a culprit too.

      Delete
  9. Oooh, these sound delicious. Will definitely give these a go later in the week. Yum! Hope you enjoyed your night out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you very berry handmade, yes I did have a good night out - really worth it.

      Delete
  10. These sound really interesting Shaheen and I can quite see why papers needed to be scraped. The coffee is the addition I find particularly interesting, principally because it's not one I would have thought of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use coffee quite a lot in my vegan chocolate cakes. I have lots more to share, so stay tuned.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen