Tuesday, 5 February 2013

Butternut Squash,Chilli and Coriander Soup

Although the sun was out most of the day, it was quite deceiving.  Not at all warm ,  In fact, I feel ice in the air, there was a flurry of snow earlier but that was it - thank goodness. 
 
A little off the subject of food for a moment.  I haven't had my hair cut now for a year and it was long, down below my waistline, I haven't had it that long for a while.  It looked gorgeous, but with the work I am doing presently it has to be tied back, this means that I do not get to show of my curly locks and sway my hair to and fro.   Also as much as I am loving the long wavy hair, its a nuisance first thing in the morning, washing it.  Its getting all tangled in knots now, and I do not have the inclination in the morning to hair dry it, as well as the fact I do not own a hairdryer.  There was once a time I'd be happy to let it dry and curl naturally, but with the weather being so miserable, grey and wet - I just don't want to be sitting around with damp hair.  So at the weekend, I went and got it cut, quite drastically for me.  Its almost a bob and I don't like it, so I am pulling a sad face now and again.  Its not the hairdressers fault, I told her to lop it all off.  Its only when I got home to wash it and tie it back, that I realised I didn't have much hair to tie back.  I know it will grow back, but I am missing it already - my long hair was also like my ear muffs and scarf keeping my ears and neck warm.  Oh well, I just got to get used to it.
Well as mentioned the weather being rather icy, I could do with some soup to warm my up from my head to my wiggly cold toes.    A sweet butternut squash enhanced by my two favourite flavours: chilli and coriander.  Yum.  These were served with home-made chunky crunchy croutons.  
I am sharing a bowl of this soup with Jill at Fat TuesdaysTasty Tuesday Parade of Food hosted by Beauty and Bedlam; and The Hearth and Soul blog hop hosted by April of 21st Century Housewife, and Deb of Kahakai Kitchen for this week’s Souper (Soup, Salad and Sammies) Sundays.
Serves 4
Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced
1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed and chopped into small chunks
2 pints vegetable stock, made with 1 teaspoon bouillon powder
1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes
Salt to taste
40g fresh coriander leaves and stalks, minced
Method
Heat the oil in a pan, fry the onions until soft.  Add the squash and fry until it begins to soften a little, then add in the chilli flakes and cook for a few minutes.  Then pour in the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer until the squash is tender.  Stir in the minced coriander and add salt to taste, simmer until the coriander begins to wilt.  Turn off heat, allow to cool before transferring to a blender and blitzing to a puree.  Tweak seasoning and serve.  

8 comments:

  1. Butternut squash is one of the most delicious to make a soup from. Every year I say, I must grow more of these but then, don't. Hopefully this year.

    Glad to see you back blogging more Shaheen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gardening Bren, what I seem to be blogging the most is cake recipes. Because they are easy and ready to photograph, unlike a lot of the dishes I am making at work.
      I hope you do grow more butternut squashes, they are a delight to eat. I have never been successful at growing them, if I get into the routine of growing again, i will try them too.

      Delete
  2. A bit of a surprise that the hairdresser would be willing to cut that much of your hair off all at once. Love the look of your butternut squash. The one I have been making uses a lot of heavy cream. Yours seems to be lighter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DahnStarr, I permitted the hairdresser to lop it all off, not her fault.

      This soup is certainly lighter.

      Delete
  3. Eek! It will grow back soon and I bet you look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kath :) Yeah, it will grow back

    ReplyDelete
  5. This soup looks so warming and flavorful--perfect for a cold day. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays--it's great to have you back. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen