Sunday, 17 February 2013

Beetroot 'Love Heart' Hummus

I know Valentines was last week and I also missed Wales own Valentines Day - Dydd Santes  Drynwens Day - Welsh Saint of Love celebrated on the 25th January only because I got distracted with a Vegetarian Burns Night in Wales.   But this time, I thought no I am going to participate in what has become a commercial and mainstream annual event, but only in a culinary fashion and adorn my table with some heart shaped dishes, not just good to the eyes, but for the appetite too.
Presentation does matter, and beetroot doesn't always appeal to everyone, so I used my heart shaped cookie cutter for both the beetroot heart filling and for the cut out pitta chips hearts.  They went down a treat and pleased all those who set eyes on them. 
I am sharing the Beetroot Hummus recipe with Ricki at Diet, Dessert, Dogs for her Wellness Weekend: 14-18th February 2013 and  to Caroline at Crumbs and Cooking who is hosting Februarys edition of Simple and In Season an event started by Ren Behan at at Fabulicious Food.  
Beetroot Hummus Dip
Makes a bowl – good for 6 - 8 people to share
Ingredients
150g cooked beetroot, roughly chopped
400g cooked chickpeas
1 clove garlic, crushed
Juice from ½ lemon
2 – 3 tablespoon olive oil
Method
Whizz all the ingredients a food processor until pureed. Serve immediately or chill for later, that is of course if you can wait!

Pitta Crisps/Chips
Packet of Pitta Bread
Slice into strips; or use a heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out heart shapes.  Coat lightly with olive oil and a little salt and bake in a moderately high oven for 10 - 15 minutes or until crisp.  Allow to cool, before serving.  Store in an airtight Tupperware for later use.

4 comments:

  1. Shaheen:
    These look so pretty, I may not have the heart to eat them.
    Well done!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chandra, so good to hear from you.

      Delete
  2. They look lovely - I like the idea of combining hummus with beetroot. Thanks for entering this into Simple and In Season.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen