Wednesday, 20 February 2013

The Best Elvis Bagel

Some of you may remember a little while ago when I made a Strawberry, Banana and Peanut Butter cake dubbed by my husband as The Graceland Cake.  At the time I also mentioned making another Elvis Presley creation featuring regularly on the menu - The Elvis Bagel!!!  Well as promised, here it it in all its glory. 
Unlike other bagels that are toasted, this one is baked in the oven for a few minutes.  I think it makes the bagel more doughy and chewy which I like.  Then the bottom half of the bagel is spread generously with smooth peanut butter, the top half generously with good strawberry jam.  Before both can kiss, the middle is packed in a domino fashion with sliced banana for height and visual impact. 
Then put together on an oval plate and served with salted popcorn, sometimes some pretzels and when in season - fresh strawberries.  Its truly rich and filling.
This is one high octane of a Bagel.
Yes it can only be the Elvis Presley Bagel - A flaming star of a bagel with sliced bananas, strawberry jam and peanut  butter - the 1970s look on a plate.  WARNING: You may need to add coffee to your order!!! 
 
Now get your gnashers into that bagel! 
Do you have a favourite bagel filling, I'd really like to know?

Do you have a favourite bagel filling, I'd really like to know?  I am sharing this recipe with Janice at Farmersgirl Kitchen.  Janice is guest hosting February's edition of Breakfast Club for Helen at Fuss Free Favours.  The theme this month is cooked or baked breakfast, as well as One Ingredient with Laura of How to Cook Good Food and Nazima of Franglais Kitchen who are featuring bananas this month. 

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining us for Breakfast Club. Your bagel looks fantastic. I am still a huge fan of this bagel from Jac at Tinned Tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice, Jac recipes are fab.

      Delete
  2. You certainly have fun with your food...one of my favourite things about your blog. Best to you and D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like dessert and one worthy of the king - I love the you serve it with popcorn - hope it is popular

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only a few have dared to try :) It certainly is a conversation starter.

      Delete
  4. Hi Shaheen, well I thought I'd seen everything but this is one heck of a bagel dish!! It actually sounds scrummy, I love peanut butter with most things. I like a nice seeded bagel with brie, red grapes a tiny bit of pesto and rocket, the brie slightly melted.
    Sally x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOh Sally, love the sound of your Brie Bagel, will have to try it out one of these days, I do like brie. I've been making Brie and cranberry paninis at work, hugely popular.

      Delete
  5. Ha I love it, I wish your cafe was just down the road from me. I might have one of these every morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kath. I assure you, you wouldn't be able to eat one every morning too too rich - but you could certainly try :)

      Delete
  6. I love that it's called the Elvis bagel, sounds like a great start to the day. My favourite bagel filling is salami, cheese and tomato.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, A nice twist on classic peanut butter and jelly sandwich!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen