Tuesday, 5 March 2013

Vegetarian Welsh Chilli Con Carne

I did not get round to getting a photograph of my St Davids Day Vegetarian Menu as it was one of my busiest and rewarding evenings.   But I know there will be a next time when I make my  vegetarian Welsh Chilli, so right now you will just have to imagine how this red, white and green Welsh Vegetarian Chilli looked like in a bowl.  The colour red from the peppers, white from the cannelini and butter beans, and green from the leeks came through, extra red from the tomatoes and chilli flakes.

It was popular with the chilli fiends and avoided by some for the slightly milder Red Thai Dragon Curry or Red Dragon Burgers.  And for those who did not like the idea of spices in either the Welsh Chilli or the Red Thai Curry had the option of Caerphilly Cheese, Leek and Potato Pie. 
 
Welsh Chilli: Red, White and Green in a Bowl
Serves 6

Ingredients
270g white beans, soaked overnight.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onions, finely sliced

3 large leeks, washed and sliced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
2 small red chillies, sliced
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 red peppers, diced
1 x 400g can of tomatoes, chopped

1 pint vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: coriander, chopped for garnish
Method
In a wide pan, cook beans in water until tender. Drain and set aside.
In a saucepan, warm the oil on medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions become soft, then add the leeks and cook until soft. Add the celery and chilli, then cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
Reduce the heat and stir in the cumin, oregano,  coriander, pepper and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook until the peppers begin to soften. Stir occasionally to keep the spices from burning. Then add in the tomatoes cook for about 5 minutes, then stir in the beans and cook for  another 10minutes before stirring in the stock.  Allow to simmer for 30 minutes on a gentle head.  Adjust the seasoning if necessary. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with rice or home-made nachos.  

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for that. I've made a note of those Welsh recipes I fancy - so I've got them well in advance of next St Davids Day (when I shall be living in Wales myself). I hadnt realised that there are "celebrations" going on every year of this - so will be ready to play my part once I'm there. Bring on the leeks and daffodils then....LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The clebrations are not as overt as they used to be, mainly happens at educational level. I think its sad really. If you don't mind me asking, Where abouts in Wales do you intend to move?

      Delete
    2. hi

      West Wales. I tend not to be too specific at present - because I've not yet bought house-to-be and it's in a rather small area. But am looking forward to it and hope I should be there some point mid-year. Whereabouts were you?

      Delete
    3. In Casnewydd, South Wales. Its being described as a ghost city, it was a town once and should have remained that way esp. being next door to Cardiff - just can't compete. It was once thriving, now... well high street is charity shops, pawn shops and coffee chains.

      Delete
  2. Hello.. sorry for taking so long to get around to your site!! ..I've just been posting and never noticing they comment section on my site!! so so sorry! Glad you were enjoying some of my recipes!! Now that i've found your webpage.. i'll be more active on it!! ..checking out all the wonderful recipes!! Love this one!! I like making different chili dishes!! This one sounds great!! ..I'll give it a try!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is okay Kara, I understand I am quite busy too and not posting/blogging as much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This chilli sounds great! I have never realy thought about doing a vegetable one or what you would put into it. I am sure my two children would love this and they can help make it as well. They can use our vegetable chopper instead of a knife to make things safer and quicker. I will let you know how we get on. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Graham. Ihave loads of veggie based chilli recipes on this blog, seek and you shall find. This one is a new creation, go easy on the chilli - some like it hot, some do not.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen