Tuesday, 26 March 2013

Vegan Winter Vegetable Pot Pie with Puff Pastry

Snow, chill, ice and rain please go away and let the sunshine radiate its warmth and heat, and that is coming from a person who is not so keen on hot weather.  I just want to stop wearing layers of clothing and worrying about the electricity bill warming up a place that is never going to warm up. 

One thing that will warm us all up is this Winter Vegetable Pot Pie.  All the vegetables are available right now, even the peas direct from your freezer.  The thick gravy sauce in this Winter vegetable pot is what makes the dish rich and rib sticking.  If you want more vegetables on your plate, serve this with sauteed green and mash potatoes for comfort. 
A number of people who have tried these have asserted their pleasing with a smile and one simple comment: Delicious!   And the meat eaters utter in surprise - I can't believe its vegan, its so flavourful.  I've also made this Vegetable pot Pie with butternut squash, red pepper and slender green beans. 
A word about the puff pastry topping - I have to admit, not out of laziness, although that is how it may be perceived by some, but the truth is I hate waste even with scraps of left over pastry.  I made square - almost rectangular puff pastry tops, which puffed up like pillow case.  I guess I could use the scraps of pastry to make shaped on top of the puff pastry, but sometimes I do not have the patience.  Anyway, aesthetically round ones are much better. 

I am sharing this with I am also sharing this recipe with Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes who is hosting March 2013 Edition #22 of Bookmarked Recipes: a monthly blog event initiated by Ruth of Ruth's Kitchen Experiments This particular recipe has been bookmarked and adapted Mushroom Pot Pie recipe from Real Simple: Life Made Easier website. 
Vegan Vegetable Pot Pie topped with Puff Pastry
Serves 6
Ingredients
4 tablespoons olive oil
I large onion, minced
chestnut mushrooms, sliced
4 carrots, sliced
3 celery stalks, sliced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
salt and black pepper
Plain flour
vegetable stock
Handful of frozen peas
Packet of ready rolled puff pastry, cut out into  6 circles to fit your pie dish.

Method
Heat the oil in a wide pan over medium-high heat. Saute the onions until transluscent, then stir in the celery,  carrots, thyme,  salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are beginning to soften about 10 - 15 minutes. Then stir in the mushroom and saute.  Add the flour and cook, stirring to prevent it from sticking for 30 seconds or so. Pour in the vegetable stock and peas, bring to a boil and simmer for a few minuted.  Turn off heat and transfer the vegetable mixture into ovenproof dishes or an 8-10 inch square baking dish. Lay the pastry circles on top. Bake until the puff pastry is puffed and golden - about 25 to 30 minutes.Bookmarked and adapted Mushroom Pot Pie recipe from Real Simple: Life Made Easier website.  

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I should have eaten before checking this out. Hahah

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy that glass of red wine after your long week. The weather across the pond has not been good..sorry to read that. Still, the recipes keep on coming and they are all excellent as usual. Beautiful presentation on this post. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shaheen, well I couldn't have put it better myself, I'm getting fed up of wearing so many layers and also warming up a place which won't warm up and is only tepid with all the radiators and extra portable heaters on. I don't like hot weather so much but I find myself crying out for sun and warmth.
    I'm also at the point the aga wants servicing and with its maximum temperature down to about 130 degrees C there's not much hope for cooking nice things. Still, I can get my Lakeland pie maker out and have a go at some mini pies. Saw a nice looking lentil stew on a repeated Nigel Slater show last week with caramelised onions added on top.
    I just found a trailer for the Waitress film you mentioned, it looks really good. I also saw you asked me about the new sewing machine, I've only had one go on it due to cold and cold hands so I guess it will be summer before I get stuck in. It seems great and I talked to a sewing machine man who said even the very bottom of range Janomes are good, I just wanted this one because it does text. Hope you get chance to rekindle your sewing skills. Have a good easter break, Sally xx :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen