Monday, 18 March 2013

Spiked Milligan Soup for St Patricks Days

I hummed at what to call this soup which was specially made for my St Patricks Vegetarian menu.  I eventually had decided on Indian-Irish soup, but my husband a huge Spike Milligan fan called it 'Milligan soup'. 
 Well why not?

So in memory of the world premier Irish-Indian, a root vegetable soup spiked with curried spices. 
 I wonder what Mr Spike Milligan would have thought of it. 
For those who opted for the starter of soup.  A bowl was accompanied with chunky home-made shamrock shaped granary croutons. 
 I am sharing a bowl of this soup with Deb of Kahakai Kitchen for this week’s Souper (Soup, Salad and Sammies) Sundays and One Ingredient hosted this month by Laura of How to Cook Good Food and Nazima of Franglais Kitchen who are featuring my favourite ingredient chilli this month. .

Spike Milligan Soup for St Patricks Day 
Serves 4 - 6
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 large potato, peeled and diced
1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes
1 teaspoon Curry Powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
2 pints vegetable stock, made with 1 teaspoon bouillon powder
Salt to taste
40g fresh coriander leaves and stalks, minced
Heat the oil in a pan, fry the onions until soft. Add the vegetables and spices and cook over gentle head until it begins to soften a little.  Then pour in the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the minced coriander and add salt to taste, simmer until the coriander begins to wilt. Tweak seasoning and serve.  


  1. A great sounding soup with a very funny name! I have just made a chunky soup myself but I love your additions of curry powder & garam masala. I will try these out next time I make a soup and of course the chilli is essential for us chilli lovers. This is a lovely entry to One Ingredient, thanks Shaheen!

    1. Thank you Laura. Yes chilli - love the spice!

  2. This soup looks so spicy and good and I love those adorable croutons too. ;-) (And I learned who Spike Milligan is too!)

    Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week.

  3. love your naming of your St Pat's day food and the shamrocks - this soup sounds great and the shamrocks are gorgeous - never new about spike milligan's origins - fascinating what I pick up in food blogging!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You