Thursday, 21 March 2013

Vegan Mexican Tamale Bean Pie

The girl from Mexico approves of my Mexican Tamale Bean Pie, other than it could have been a touch hotter and spicier and of course, traditionally its wrapped and cooked in corn husk, it got the thumbs up.  It made my day. 

I make this Mexican Tamale Bean Pie all the time, partly because its an easy dish to make, partly because I like eating it too.  I have posted it on my blog before, see this link, but it has changed a lot since then - before it was suitable for vegetarians, this one is suitable for vegans, though there is nothing stopping you from putting a handful of grated cheese on the top then putting it under the grill to melt or even topping it with a fried egg or two, but too be honest with you it doesn't need either.  It s quite tasty without the additional toppings mentioned. 
I am sharing one of these pies with One Ingredient hosted this month by Laura of How to Cook Good Food and Nazima of Franglais Kitchen who are featuring my favourite ingredient chilli this month. Also the soy mince, kidney and black beans in this vegan Mexican Tamale make this post suitable for My Legume Love Affair 57, this popular, legume-centred event was created by Susan, The Well-Seasoned Cook, and is now run by Lisa of Lisa's Kitchen.  This March it is being hosted by PJ of Seduce Your Tastebuds.  

Vegan Mexican Tamale Bean Pie
Serves  4 - 6 depending on the size of your pie dishes
Ingredients

for the pie filling
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 medium onions, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
50g – 75g jalapeno from a jar, minced

Pinch of chilli flakes
350g reconstituted organic  soy mince
400g can chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato puree
400g cooked black and kidney beans

300g vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste

for the polenta topping200g quick cook polenta800ml water
4 tablespoons fresh coriander
Method for the pie filling
Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion and garlic until softened slightly. Add the jalapenos, chilli flakes, soy mince, tomatoes, tomato puree, beans, stock, lemon juice and remaining coriander and cook on gentle heat for 30 minutes until thick like stew. Season to taste and pour into an ovenproof dish.
Preheat the oven to medium to high. 

for the polenta topping
Either cook polenta acording to packet instuctions Or
Boil the water, then slowly pour in the polenta whisking all the time, until it begins to thicken and splutter. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the coriander and salt to taste. Evenly pour over the pie filling and smooth. Bake in oven for 20 minutes or so.  Serve immediately. 

 

12 comments:

  1. Who is this mystery "girl from Mexico"??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know who she was, it was her first visit to the cafe. Ithink she was sent by one of my HD twitter followers who knew it wwas on the menu and she taste tested it, glad she liked it - positive review.

      Delete
  2. Sorry I've not popped over more often...these recipes look lovely. I've been busy with the flat and I'm attempting to re-organise my pantry. I hope you and D have been keeping well. Like your photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. e - so good to hear from you. Its okay, I am not gettng much time to visit fellow bloggers blogs much and when I do, don't have time to comemnt. I hope your fine and your new flat is coming on well. Stay well, I will come and visit this w/e your blog that is, :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks a lot for your entry :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your polenta topping is inspired! I have been eating very little meat this week and made a lovely vegetable tagine which lasted for 2 meals. Now I will be making this next week as it has all the flavours I love. Polenta is just brilliant!
    Thanks for entering One Ingredient :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. I so do hope you like, I never liked polenta, but mixed with other flavours its lovely.

      Delete
  5. I nearly fell off my chair when I saw you had added a photo to your about me section! About time too.

    Love this pie, such a good family dish. Do you know I havwe never had polenta before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I will start posting pics of myself, soon I promise - starting with a larger version of that one in the about me - I like it - makes me look moody.

      You should try this recipe first for the polenta, its not to everyones taste, so this should fingers crossed win you over.

      Delete
  6. Dearest Shaheen, I hope u have been well. I have been a very bad blogger as well as bad blogger friend! I've neglected my duties towards the blogging world for so long that I feel rather out of place. It's good to know that you've been well, and running a cafe too! Your food looks as lovely as always and makes me believe that I may yet learn to love veggies as much as you do. Be well and take care:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sumaiyyah. I understand - your not a bad blogger or bad blogger friend, life just takes priority, blogging has to wait. You take care :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen