Friday, 8 March 2013

Peanut Banana Cake

One of my favourite childhood sweets to suck on was salty-sweet peanut sweets that were made at Lovells Sweet Factory  in Newport Gwent.   Shaped like a peanut they were sickly sweet on the outside, and a sherbet salty centre, oh how I enjoyed eating them.
I found similar sweets on my travels to the seaside, but they were not a patch on the original.  Anyway, a little while ago, I decided to make a Peanut Banana Cake.  It was simple and lovely.  
Now your going to ask me for a recipe, well it is this Banana Chocolate Walnut Loaf recipe with the addition of peanut butter and peanuts in place of the walnuts - simple as that. 
Peanut Banana Cake
Serves 6 - 8
Ingredients
2 - 3 ripe bananas, mashed
170g golden brown caster sugar
185g self-raising flour, sifted
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons of smooth or crunchy peanut butter
80g unsalted peanuts, roughly chopped
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 4. Lightly grease a 8 x 4 loaf tin and line the base with baking paper.
Put the mashed banana and sugar in a large bowl and mix well. Add the flour, eggs, oil, milk, peanut butter and gently stir until well combined. Stir in the peanuts.
Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 50 minutes to an hour or until a cake tester inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack.

12 comments:

  1. I love peanut and banana together....from cakes to soups..they marry beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gardenening bren, must admit - not had this combo in soup - I am intrigued - do you have a recipe to share, i'd try it for sure.

      Delete
  2. I do lie the addition of peanuts & peanut butter. I've never thought of adding them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jac. Hope you get to try them one of these days.

      Delete
  3. peanut butter and banana together are an invincible combination in my opinion, it's my guilty quick snack on top of some good bread.. or sometimes, just banan dipped into peanut butter (shh). so this sounds so awesome and a great idea to combine peanuts and bananas into a cake! good one! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shu Han. Ilove it in bagels too.

      Delete
  4. I can't stand peanut butter on bread or toast but I love it in things! This recipe looks like I could easily veggies it, thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anything that is sweet - salt sounds good to me! Will definitely be trying this. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shaheen, what good timing, you must've known I'm sat here with a glut of ripe, squidgy looking bananas and plentiful amounts of peanut butter, can't wait to try this, thank you for sharing.

    Hey I used to like those sweet peanut sweeties but I'm not sure I would have had the original Lovells ones.

    I found a fab veggie cafe on my travels at the weekend, if you ever find yourself in Lancaster seek out the Whale Tail Cafe, they've got a website where you can check out the menus. I sampled wonderful salads, generous portions and very reasonable, leaving me a few spare pennies to buy their cookbook.

    BFN, Sally x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sally, Ripe bananas, eh we always seem to have them. I hope you like this, otherwise check out the other banana recipes I have.

      The Whale Tail Cafe sound great, made me smile. I do a vegan BLT and they do a tofu BLT - I must give that one a go, must admit I haven't made anything with tofu at work yet, thinking about making some vegan cheesecake with soft tofu soon though. You must let me know what kind of recipes are in the book and how much it cost as I can't find a link to it on their site, I will then make a decision whether to put it on my to buy list in the future. x

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen