Wednesday, 2 January 2013

Welsh Glamorgan Eggs

I really wanted the first recipe of the year on my blog to be one that was celebratory and bedazzling to the eye, but I have not had the camera to hand every time I have cooked something new.  So I have had to dig into last years archives of unblogged recipes and have chosen to share with you my Welsh Glamorgan Eggs.

I created these Welsh Glamorgan Eggs around the same time I made the Caerphilly Cheese, Leek and Potato Pie.   Its based on the Scotch Egg, I've featured my Vegetarian version of a Scotch egg on my blog in the past made with mushrooms - see here for link, so it was inevitable, I would end up making one upon my move back to Wales.
Scotch Eggs, Welsh Eggs are not that difficult to make.  Once you've made the sausage-meat, its all about being patient with the moulding and careful with the deep-frying; and I have to say home-made is lovely, because you won't get that crispy golden crunch anywhere else.   
I'm intending to showcase these Welsh Eggs again around St Davids Day in March, so I promise to cut one open for you so you can see not just the hard boiled egg, but the Glamorgan vegetarian sausage-meat clinging onto the egg.  I am also planning to make another one called Red Dragon Welsh/Scotch Egg, why? There may be some red chilli flakes in there or maybe some Welsh Red Mustard! Coming soon - wait and see.
These were simply served with home-made piccalilli, pickles and a light green salad.

Welsh Glamorgan Eggs
Makes 4
Ingredients
4 small free-range eggs, boiled, cooled and shell removed
110g Caerphilly cheese, cheddar will also work well, grated
2 teaspoons of parsley
150g fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
1 medium leek, finely minced including green part
1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1 large egg yolk
Salt and pepper to taste

For coating and deep frying
4 tablespoons chickpea flour
60g panko crumbs or 60g fresh breadcrumbs
1 large egg white lightly beaten or whisked (optional - I like it whisked as it gives it a tempura like texture).
Vegetable oil for deep frying
Method
Roll the eggs in the chickpea flour. 

Place 150g breadcrumbs in a large mixing bowl along with the onion, cheese and herbs. Then add the mustard powder and seasoning of salt and pepper. Now add the egg yolk and stir to bind together. I tend to use my hands. Then divide the mixture into four equal portions and then using your hands begin moulding the Glamorgan sausage meat around the egg,  squeezing gently to hold and bind it together, ensuring that there are no gaping holes. Mould gently until you have a nice firm and well covered egg.  Put in the fridge to chill. 
When ready to deep fry, whisk the egg white, dip the eggs in it, then roll gently into the panko or fresh breadcrumbs and deep fry until golden. 

14 comments:

  1. that's a very unusual and tasty-looking recipe. i'm all about trying new things with eggs since i got chickens. i'll have to try a dairy-free veg version of this sometime. thanks for the cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you Emily, hope you get to try this or a variation of it. Take care x

      Delete
  2. happy new year shaheen - I think your local cooking is great and inspired as always - hope you have a nice break as it sounds like you have been busy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too Johanna. Yes, I have had a good break but now I have returned to work and its keeping me on my toes for sure.

      Delete
  3. ooh yes please, I love a scotch/welsh egg. Happy New Year to you and D. May it bring happiness and cafe success. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kath, will share more about the cafe when my head is proper screwed on, i am always rushing and with barely any free time to think.

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year Shaheen, thank you for the lovely comment the other day. Let's hope this year is a really great one.
    Hey these Welsh Eggs look brilliant and a real comforting treat. Thanks for sharing.
    Sally x

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious Shaheen.
    A very Happy New Year to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love veggie scotch eggs and these are so different from my recipe. Will have to give them a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sooooo much Jacqueline.
      I hope you do, try and get panko breadcrumbs if you can - makes a huge difference and lightness to the golden crumb coating.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You