Tuesday, 22 January 2013

Red Goulash

Well the snow just keeps on falling, and we all want to stay indoors and stay warm...well I do.

I would be a fibber if I said I did not get any cookbooks last year.  It is true that I have made no new purchases -  regardless cookbooks have still been finding their way into my home via the local  library, but that didn't last long as D confiscated my library card when I failed to return my bundle of books not once, not twice, but three times in a row and the fine being just over £30.00 pounds. Needless to say, I haven't been back to the library since August.  The other way I have acquired some cookbooks is secondhand; through charity shops of which there are many mushrooming all over where I live now.  I will share with you some of my secondhand cookbook acquisitions, but one of the cookbooks, I was really delighted to get my mitts on was Positively Vegetarian by Demuths Restaurant especially now that it is out of print; and one of the recipes that leaped out to me immediately was one for Red Wine Goulash.  

Soup has been on the table aplenty the past couple of weeks, but now it was the turn of something with a little bit of kick to spark us up and chase the blues and the chills away, well for a little while at least. This Hungarian stew, often made with meat, but here it is made with some vegetables and pulses. 
The fiery colours of this dish will set your insides a little aglow and the gentle waft of the smoky, spicy paprika will tickle your nose. 
You can eat this just as it is, but I served it with plain white rice and a dollop of soured cream.  I am sharing a hot bowl of this Red Goulash with Javelin Warrior's for his Made with Love Mondays.  I am also sharing this recipe with Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes who is hosting January 2013 Edition #20 of Bookmarked Recipes: a monthly blog event initiated by Ruth of Ruth's Kitchen Experiments.  
This dish is best made a day in advance.
Red Goulash
Ingredients
Serves 6
160g black-eyed peas, dry weight
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium onions, sliced
3 - 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced into half moon shapes
2 red peppers,, sliced
2  teaspoons Hungarian paprika
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
600ml - 800ml vegetable stock
4 tablespoons tomato paste
100g red split lentils
4 tomatoes, skinned and roughly chopped
300ml red wine
salt and pepper to taste
Method
Soak the black-eyed peas overnight in plenty of water.  The next day, drain and cook in fresh water until tender.  Drain and set aside.
In another large pan, heat the oil and saute the onions until tender.  Add the carrots and the peppers and cook for a few minutes. Stir in the spices and the herbs.  Gently pour in the vegetable stock and stir in the tomato paste Bring to a gentle simmer, before stirring in the red split lentils, chopped tomatoes and black-eyed peas.  Cook on low heat until the lentils are cooked through and the carrots soft.  You may need to add more water if the lentils seem to be thickening.  Finally stir in the red wine and simmer gently for 10 minutes, season with salt and pepper to taste. Adapted from Demuths Restaurants Positively Vegetarian: Recipes for Life

14 comments:

  1. Hi Shaheen:
    I am particularly fascinated by this dish.
    I have never had goulash. So, I have asked my wife if she will kindly make this for me. It sounds delicious!
    Peace :)

    PS.
    Now I need to go downstairs and get a snack :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chandra, So good to hear from you. I hope you get round to making and tasting it.

      Delete
  2. You are so funny with your cookbook obsession! This looks ideal for a cold day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice, yeah I do have a cookbook obsession :) I don't know if its a good things or a bad thing. Its keeps me inspired though.

      Delete
  3. Is this GHOULash what you eat on Halloween?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for gently pointing out my spelling error Mark. I have corrected the typo - I don't have halloween on the brain, but I do have a bit of horror - there is circus coming into Cardiff towards the end of the month and I am tempted to go out for a night of chills and thrills.

      Delete
  4. I've never had ghoulash, but I'm loving the sound of it. I love dish centered around beans and this one combines two of them! It's perfect for a cold winter's evening... Thanks so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,

    We've recently launched the site Alldishes.co.uk where users can search through tens of thousands of recipes from UK and Irish food sites and blogs.

    We noticed that you have a lots of tasty recipes on your blog and would like to suggest you have a look at our Top Food Blogs section here: http://www.alldishes.co.uk/top-food-blogs.
    If you want to add your food blog to the list and have your recipes indexed on Alldishes.co.uk, all you have to do is follow the instructions here: http://www.alldishes.co.uk/add-your-food-blog

    Hopefully your food blog will be up there in the top!

    Warm regards,
    Senka
    www.alldishes.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a shame about your library books - e puts the printout for when the books are due on the wall and I sometimes write the date on the calendar but I don't borrow recipe books often because I want to keep them longer and make recipes - love the goulash - sounds great for winter

    ReplyDelete
  7. :) Johanna.
    i have loads of fridge magnets so that would be the way to go, but I am not much organised these days. I wonder when D will give my library card back to me?

    The goulash was lovely. I made her Mushroom Bourginonne a little while ago too, splendiditious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks absolutely scrumptious!! It is far different than what we call Goulash here, but I am certainly going to have to try it. I have never used smoked paprika (use lots of regular paprika), but now I am curious and will have to look for some. Dave and I are both allergic to lentils, so I will have to substitute something, like maybe the small red beans I do have on hand.

    Oh, could we ever have fun talking cookbooks! I refrained from buying any new ones for awhile, then I started finding them at the flea market where I have my shop, so the collection continues to grow. One of my most recent finds was one that was all recipes from the first 13 states here in the USA, back in colonial times. It is a most interesting cookbook! I get a kick out of reading the difference in the way they listed their ingredients and the way they wrote their instructions. Over time, our language changes much more than we realize. Old cookbooks are a great read for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna,
      Smoked paprika is really powerful stuff - a little goes a long long way. Its a shame your both allergic to lentils, I am really fond of them now than I used to be when I was a child - red beans will work well for sure.

      Yes, I am certain that we would have have a good chat about cookbooks, for me its nice to acquaint with someone with the same kind of cookbook fetish that I have. I love the sound of your 13 states cookbook and would loved to have flicked through those pages.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen