Sunday, 27 January 2013

Vegan Orange Poppyseed cakes

What's the weather like where you are?  Here the snow has finally melted away, replaced by incessant cold sleet rain.  Moments ago, there was even thunder and lightening.  I am so glad I am home dry and warm. 

On Friday 25th January, I had a 'Burns Day and Night Menu' on offering.  Amongst my creations: Vegan Haggis, Neep and Tattie Pie, Spicy Neep Samosa Pies, Vegeterian Haggis and Portobello Mushroom Lasagne, Vegan Haggis Burgers, Scottish Raspberries and Chocolate Bundt Cake and Irn Bru Jelly.  I haven't got round to downloading those photographs yet, so today its another cake to feast your eyes on.

For those of you who read this blog, I must let you know that this is exactly the same recipe for the Lemon Poppy seed mini loaf cakes, except her I have used orange zest and juice here.  I don't know if I mentioned in the Lemon Poppy seed cake post, but this recipe can be a bit hit and miss.  This time the batter did not rise as much as it should have, so these were a little on the slender side, so I sandwiched two cakes together with marmalade to give it more height and appeal.
This is the second time this month that I am sharing a Orange flavoured recipe with Karen at Lavender and Lovage and Kate of What Kate Baked for their Tea Time Treats. The theme for January is citrus; as well as One Ingredient with Laura of How to Cook Good Food and Nazima of Franglais Kitchen who are featuring on orange this month. 
Vegan Orange Poppy seed Cake with marmalade and flaked almonds
Yields 8 -  10 mini round cakes
Ingredients
460g plain flour
300g golden caster sugar
2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon salt
450ml water
275ml vegetable oil
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest or orange zest
Juice from 2 lemons or from 2 oranges
40g poppy seeds
Orange or Lemon Marmalade
Handful of lightly toasted flaked almonds
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180
Line 8 - 10 mini round cake/tartlet tins.
Combine the first 4 dry ingredients together, then stir in the wet ingredients and zest. Gently and evenly fold in the poppy seeds. Carefully pour into baking tin/s and bake for 20 - 25 minutes for the smaller versions or 35 - 40 minutes for larger cake. Bake until golden, risen and firm to the touch. When cool, turn them out of the baking tins.

Optional: using a spatula, generously coat the sides of the cake with marmalade and then stick the lightly toasted almond flakes to the side.  These are best eaten within a couple of days.

11 comments:

  1. I think it is a great idea to sandwich two cakes together and the almonds around are a very nice finishing touch!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks GardeningBren, but you must admit the way the almonds are attached are a little amateur, i will get better with practice.

      Delete
  2. Another one to add to the list of I must give that a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shaheen, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for choosing to become a follwer Chris, It is most kind of you and most appreciated by myself. I will def. come by and visit your blog - very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SUCH a pretty little cake Shaheen and wonderful that is is vegan too! Thanks for this Tea Time Treats entry, you are on fire this month! Karen xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen. I have made another citrus based cheesecake, but don't think I will be able to submit it by tomorrow to the event - nevermind.

      Delete
  6. Wow, you are having a busy month and it is so good to see you taking part in the challenges. Your cake looks fantastic and I am not sure I have ever knowingly baked a vegan cake. If this is what they look like then I will be doing so in future!
    Thanks again for your second entry into One Ingredient this month xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura. Its really a pleasure.

      Delete
  7. What a lovely recipe shaheen, I was just wondering how to make an egg free cake. Yours looks delicious

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen